When the Checkers Sixty60 app was launched I doubted that they would cover my area since I have never been able to get groceries delivered to Saldanha before from other stores. However in March it launched in Vredenburg and in May I heard that they were delivering to Saldanha from Vredenburg Checkers. I downloaded the Checkers Sixty60 app and first gave it a try in mid May and now that I have used it a good number of times I’m ready to share my Checkers Sixty60 review with you.
What Is Checkers Sixty60?
Checkers Sixty60 is the app by Checkers for online shopping with delivery within sixty minutes. The app is free to download and is available at the Google Playstore (android) and the App Store (iPhone).
Is Desktop Available?
No, unfortunately there is no app for PC so you are only able to access this service via your mobile device. There is no website available for you to shop online from Checkers.
The Checkers Sixty60 app was launched last year and they deliver to selected areas in South Africa with new areas launching all the time. The best way to check if they deliver to your area is to check the delivery areas map on their website.
The delivery areas increase every month, so if they are not yet delivering in your area keep an eye on their Facebook page for new areas.
The delivery fee is a flat rate of R35 no matter how large or small your order is. There is no minimum order amount.
Deliveries start from 8am every day – delivery time slots vary per area and are displayed in your app.
The only payment methods available at this time are Mastercard and VISA payments, you enter your card details into the app to pay. While Checkers does accept ebucks you are not able to pay using ebucks.
It is also important to note that there will be a Checkers Sixty60 pre authorization amount on your account – this will be the amount of your order, the delivery and a tip if you have added one for the driver plus an additional 15% which is added on to accommodate for any possible replacement products and also for products that are priced per weight such as meat and cheeses.
Once your order has been delivered to you the pre authorised amount will be returned and the correct amount of your purchase will be deducted from your account.
All the terms and conditions for using the Checkers Sixty60 app services are provided in the app. To the best of my understanding if you order the incorrect item you can return it or replace it at your nearest Checkers. If there is an item damaged, expired or missing you can log an issue on the app and the amount will be credited to your Checkers Sixty60 account. Make sure to double check all the legal info on the app for more information.
What I Think About The Checkers Sixty60 App
I decided to order some luxuries the first time to test out the Checkers Sixty60 app rather than order things when I needed them, you know just in case the service sucked. My kids and I decided to order our favourite ice cream, a pizza and a bottle of coke. The ordering process was very simple and easy, as was the checkout. I also love that at Checkout I can choose replacement products in case the things I order are not available.
As soon as we checked out I could see that the shopping was in process. I was notified when it was out for delivery and I was so excited to see that I could track the driver’s progress in real time. From the time of ordering until it was at my door it took 45 minutes. Our ice cream was still frozen which was a relief because I was honestly a little bit worried about that.
The driver wore a mask, sanitized his hands and handed over our shopping in a big brown Checkers Sixty60 bag in line with Covid-19 safety protocols. Once we had received our shopping I received another notification that our delivery was complete and I was asked to rate the delivery process as well as the products. I was able to edit the tip for the driver if I wanted to and there was also an option to log an issue.
That delivery went so smoothly that I’ve been ordering through the app ever since. I’ve since noticed that if I have not chosen an alternative when I place the order, if something is not in stock while the shopping is taking place I get a notification to choose a replacement in the app while the shopping is taking place. On one occasion I was not able to check my phone and missed the notification so an alternative was chosen for me. Instead of receiving the Steers burger pack patties I received the fresh burger patties which was perfect.
Then last week my son got a brutal stomach bug in the middle of the night, and as “luck” would have it that was the day I planned on doing some shopping. We only had one and a half rolls of toilet paper left in the house and no Rehidrate. As you well know it is not easy getting out of the house to buy essentials when you have a kid that has vomiting and diarrhea! By the time morning arrived we were using serviettes and things were getting dicey.
I ordered toilet paper, Rehidrate and some Energade to get my boy rehydrated, as well as some food to last until the weekend. I placed the order before they opened and the delivery arrived just before 9am literally saving our asses in the nick of time.
Since I started using the Checkers Sixty60 app I have only ordered through the app and I am loving it. One of the things I have struggled with every week is having to make the choice between stopping my work early to shop before I pick up my kids or shopping with kids. Neither option is great. That problem has been removed from my life now. In addition to that, with the threat of the third wave looming over us I don’t have to worry about going into the mall anymore.
My daughter has also fallen in love with the app, on Monday when we drove home from school I told her what we needed while she sat in the back searching for the products and putting them in the basket taking the shopping right out of my hands.
While the app is really fantastic and exactly what I personally needed in my life, there are always a few things that could be improved on so I’ve come up with a complete list of pros and cons that I can share with you and let’s hope that Checkers makes the app even better taking those things into consideration.
- You can monitor the status of your order from real time shopping to delivery of your order.
- You can track the driver real time
- The app is simple and fun to use
- All products you order are added to the “My Shop” tab so you can easily find and reorder things you buy often
- The XtraSavings card is linked so you can get your special offers through the app as well as instore
- You can buy alcohol through the app
- There is an option to log issues with your delivery
- There is an option to rate and give feedback on your delivery as well as the order
- You can tip your driver after the delivery when you rate the service – if you added a tip when you placed your order you can edit it when you rate your service
- Delivery is fast and efficient
- You can order replacement options in case something you ordered is not available
- There is no minimum order
- If you shop using your FNB card you earn eBucks
- You can hand the bags back to the driver on the next delivery to be recycled
- You can save multiple delivery addresses with specific instructions for each address – so you can order groceries to be delivered to someone else
- The R35 delivery fee is amazing – for me to drive to Checkers and back costs a lot more in petrol and wear and tear on my car even if I add in a R20 tip for the driver
- There is no desktop version
- The app is not compatible with some Huawei phones
- No eBucks or cash payment options available
- No voucher options available
It is not connected to the XtraSavingscard **update – they have now added the XtraSavings card **
- There is no option to add products to favourites to buy later
- Not all products are available on the app (smaller product choice compared to instore)
- Not all areas are available for delivery yet
- You cannot buy cigarettes on the Checkers Sixty60 app so you will need to do that instore
WIN A R500 Checkers Virtual Voucher
Win a R500 Checkers Virtual Voucher – fill in your details in the form below to enter the competition.
Checkers Virtual Vouchers can be used instore at any Checkers, Shoprite or Usave store nationwide.
This competition is open for residents of South Africa.
This competition is open for entries from 02 June – 05 July 2021 – the winner will be announced on our competitions page.
T & C’s apply
This Competition Is Closed For Entries
Click here to sign up for my newsletter so you don't miss another competition!
Get Extra Entries Into This Competition
The only requirement for entry into this competition is via the entry form above. You have to enter your details into the form to enter this competition, however you can gain extra entries into this competition in the following ways:
- Share this post on social media tagging @Kaboutjie and include the hashtag #WinWithKaboutjie - each share is an additional entry
- Leave a comment on this blog post - counts as one extra entry
- Leave comments on any other blog post on my website - every single comment received for the duration of the competition is an extra into this competition and into every other competition that is also currently running at the time!
- Join my Kaboutjie Parenting Community on Facebook and share your parenting questions in the group.
- Follow me on Instagram and comment on posts!