There are some key considerations when it comes to skincare for women over 40. Once you’ve turned 40, your face enters the tipping point as far as aging is concerned. You will suddenly notice that your skin ages relatively quickly from this stage on because of the onset of certain hormonal changes.
Most women will experience perimenopause in their mid to late forties with a reduction in estrogen production. This usually causes increased dryness and a decline in the thickness of your skin, and your skin will not be as elastic as it once was – giving your skin a sagging appearance. However, it is never too late to do whatever you can to look after your skin and slow down the effects of aging.
***Disclosure -The links in this post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.***
Use The Best Skincare For Women Over 40
Once you’re in your forties, it’s best to look for skincare products such as the Hada Labo Tokyo skincare range specifically designed to target aging skin. What makes these products a fantastic choice is the ingredients. Hyaluronic acid provides the skin with much-needed hydration, while collagen makes your skin more supple and radiant-looking. Once you’ve surpassed the age of 40, you need to invest in skincare products that aim at slowing down the ageing process and that provide the best benefits for your skin. I recently had the opportunity to review some of their products that, included the following:
- Super hydrator lotion day & night
- Anti-ageing super hydrator
- Gentle hydrating cleanser
- Intense hydrating skin plumping gel day & night
- Anti-ageing wrinkle reducer day cream
- Oral V-lift hydro cream
- Deep wrinkle correct eye & mouth cream
These products are specially formulated to slow down the ageing process and provide your skin with the suppleness and hydration it needs. These products are fantastic, and I could really see and feel the difference. You can read my full review here.
Get The Basics Right
If you want healthy skin after you’ve entered your 40s, you will probably need to change your skincare routine somewhat. Your skin is going to need a tad bit more TLC than the case was during your 30s. The good news is that you can do plenty of things to provide your skin with the care it needs. You will notice that your skin becomes drier, especially when you reach menopause.
During this stage of your life, you need to start focusing on promoting elastin and collagen, which are the main ingredients for healthier, plump-looking skin. Your body’s production of these proteins starts to slow down from the mid-20s, therefore, when you reach your 40s, you really need to start focusing on replenishing them. It is essential to have a skincare routine to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and outside pollutants. We recommend including at least these basics in your daily routine: cleansing, toning, serum, moisturizing, and sunscreen.
Basic Skincare Routine For Women Over 40
- Cleanser – you want to use a gentle, soothing cleanser that does not strip your skin from natural oils.
- Anti-ageing serum – when you hit the 40s, your skin’s sebum production starts to deteriorate, exposing your skin to outside pollutants, therefore, it pays to invest in a serum that contains antioxidants to help combat free radicals. The best is to use a morning serum with antioxidants and hyaluronic acid, as well as a night serum containing retinol and peptides. In addition, serums that contain collagen-boosting peptides that are useful for stimulating fibroblast activity and promoting collagen formation. Copper and vitamin C also promotes collagen generation.
- Toner – an excellent face toner that helps to close pores and restore the pH levels in your skin after cleansing. It also helps to remove any makeup residue that stays behind after cleansing, leaving your skin cleansed and refreshed.
- Moisturizer – moisturizing your face acts as a sealant to keep the anti-ageing serums locked in and provide your skin with much-needed hydration during day or night. Apply moisturizer before the final step – sunscreen.
- Sunscreen – one of the biggest culprits of ageing skin is UV rays, therefore, it is essential to apply sunblock with a good SPF for protection.
Nourish Your Skin From The Inside Out
You probably heard the expression “happiness comes from within”. The same goes for having and maintaining beautiful skin. The better your physical health, the healthier your skin. Taking care of your skin is equally important as paying attention to your internal health. The following supplements or foods can go a long way in boosting overall health and subsequently promoting beautiful and healthy-looking skin.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – helps to skin cell membranes strong and healthy. The membranes keep harmful materials from entering the skin cells and ensure your skin retains essential nutrients and water.
- Collagen supplements – adding collagen powder to your morning smoothie, tea, or coffee is useful for supporting skin, hair, joint, and bone health.
- Water – dehydrated skin leads to flaky and dry skin. It also negatively impacts elasticity which makes your skin more prone to wrinkles. It is essential to drink plenty of water to provide your skin and body with the hydration it needs.
- Green tea – is excellent for promoting beautiful and healthy skin. It contains plenty of beneficial antioxidants that combat inflammation.
- Protein – a large section of your skin is made up of protein. The two key building blocks of healthy skin – elastin and collagen – are both proteins. Therefore, ensure you follow a protein-rich diet to maintain healthy skin and lower inflammation that causes acne.
We hope that our post about essential skin care for women over 40 has been insightful and that it has inspired you to start implementing a skincare routine. Not only will it help to keep the adverse signs of aging at bay, but it will leave your skin looking healthy, supple, and beautiful. Many women regret not doing this at an earlier stage during their lives. But it is never too late to adopt a healthier lifestyle and provide your skin with the care it needs.
Win A Hada Labo Tokyo Hamper
Enter your details into the form below to enter this competition.
This competition is open for residents of South Africa and Terms and Conditions apply.
The winner will be announced on our competitions page - this competition is open from:
05 October – 13 November 2022
This Competition Is Closed For Entries
Click here to sign up for my newsletter so you don't miss another competition!