This mushroom ceviche recipe serves 4 – 6 and is sure to be a family favourite! It is super tasty and nutritious. It may be a good idea to leave out the hot sauce if your kids are young and are sensitive to hot foods.
- 45ml lemon juice
- 1 orange, finely grated zest and juice
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 250g fresh, firm, baby button mushrooms
- 60ml chilled vegetable stock
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 5ml hot sauce (optional)
- 15ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 15ml olive oil
- salt and milled black pepper, to taste
With toasted pita wedges or nachos:
- Place the lemon juice, orange juice and zest into a non-metallic mixing bowl.
- Add the red onion, stir and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stand for 5 minutes.
- Carefully stir in the remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- Drain away any excess liquid and serve the mushroom ceviche with pita toasts or nachos.
Recipe and image supplied by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association