Many of you might have had issues with losing weight, especially if you have children. Some of you might struggle to lose some of the weight that you have gained during your pregnancy. Truthfully, it is not that difficult to find foods that you can include in your eating plan to lose weight. Before we share some healthy recipes for weight loss with you, we would like to give you examples of healthy foods that you can include in your diet to get back into shape again.
These are primarily whole foods like vegetables, fish, fruit, lean meat, nuts, legumes, and seeds. Other excellent examples include processed foods like extra-virgin oil, probiotic yogurt, and oatmeal. In conjunction with frequent exercise and moderation, consuming these nutritious foods can help you with enjoying a healthier lifestyle.
Healthy Food Options For Weight Loss
Eating plans with meals that have a low-energy density usually helps people with eating less calories. Low-density foods typically consist of plenty of water, for example, fruits and vegetables. You can also add water to meals for making soup. Studies revealed that eating soup instead of solid food can leave you feeling more satiated, therefore consuming less calories. Just be careful not to add too much fat to the soup like coconut milk or cream that can boost the calorie content substantially.
Many people are under the misconception that potatoes are loaded with calories. However, potatoes contain various properties that makes them the ideal food choice for optimal health as well as weight loss. They contain various nutrients, basically, a bit of everything your body needs. They are rich in potassium that is critical for controlling your blood pressure. The trick is to eat boiled potatoes and to allow them to cool first for them to form resistant starch, that contains numerous health advantages, including weight loss.
Examples of cruciferous are cauliflower, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage which are high in fiber and are exceptionally filling. They are an excellent source of protein and fiber and considered low-energy density foods which are recommended for weight loss. Besides that, they are incredibly nutritious and known for their cancer-fighting properties.
This type of vegetables include spinach, swiss chards, kale, collards, and more. They are low in carbs and calories and contain heaps of fiber. Leafy greens also contain many minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins, including calcium for fat burning. It is so easy to include leafy greens in your healthy recipes for weight loss, either by adding it into your meal or as a salad on the side.
Eating too many eggs can increase levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol in certain individuals, however, they are among the best foods to include in your diet for losing weight, since they contain fat and protein, and are satisfying. It is especially advantageous to eat them for breakfast. And did you know that most nutrients can be found in egg yolks?
Tuna is an excellent example of a high-protein and low-calorie food. It does not contain a lot of fat and bodybuilders and fitness models alike consume it to boost their protein intake and keeping fat and calorie levels low.
Dairy products are typically high in protein; however, cottage cheese is low in carbs and contain little fat. It is satiating and a brilliant source of protein without packing on too many calories. Other low-fat dairy products that are low-fat are skyr and Greek yogurt.
While the majority of fruits contain many carbs, avocados contain healthy fats. They have a high content of the same fat that can be found in olive oil, namely monounsaturated oleic acid. Avocados contain a lot of fiber and water and are the ideal addition to veggie salads. Avocados have many essential nutrients, that include potassium and fiber.
Many fruits have characteristics that make them suitable for weight loss. Although they have a natural sugar content, it takes time to chew them and they have low energy density. The fiber contained in fruits assist with preventing sugar to be discharged too swiftly into your bloodstream.
Chia seeds are considered highly nutritious because they contain a mere twelve grams of carbs per ounce of which eleven grams are fiber. Chia seeds can be a highly practical part of your weight loss eating plan.
Coconut oil is known for the numerous health benefits linked to it. Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which promotes satiety more effectively than other fats and boost the number of calories you burn. Coconut oil is also known for reducing belly fat. However, coconut oil contains calories, therefore it is mostly recommended for substituting other cooking fats.
6 Healthy Recipes For Weight Loss
Gluten-free Orange chicken with paprika and cumin
- 1 Heaped teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 4 Skinless chicken breasts cut into smaller portions
- 1 Small orange, juiced and zested, and wedges for serving
- 1 Teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 Large crushed garlic clove
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Use a dry pan for toasting the cumin seeds until they are fragrant, then use a pestle and mortar to grind them into a powder.
- Place the chicken chunks into a shallow bowls mixed with the other ingredients, as well as ground black pepper. Cover it and leave for an hour at room temperature.
- Heat a large frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Add some salt to the chicken and mix well without losing the excess marinade. Leave it for two to three minutes in the pan to char and brown, turn the chicken chunks and cook for an extra two to three minutes until the chicken is cooked through. You can skewer the chicken and serve with the additional orange wedges.
Honey sesame chicken with broccoli
- 2 Teaspoons of toasted sesame oil
- 300g Trimmed long-stemmed broccoli
- 2 Chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 Cloves of finely chopped garlic cloves
- 4 Spring onions, cut into smaller 3cm chunks
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon cornflour
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon runny honey
- Use a non-stick frying pan to heat the sesame oil over a high heat and start frying the chicken pieces with seasoning for five minutes, or until they have a golden color, add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- In the meantime, whisk the rice vinegar and cornflour, and add the other sauce ingredients with 100ml of water. Add this into the pan with the spring onion and allow to simmer for five minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked.
- Use a large pan to cook the broccoli in lightly salted boiling water for about three to four minutes or until cooked through. Drain well and divide the broccoli among two plates before adding the chicken and sauce. Scatter some sesame seeds over the dish.
Hearty minestrone soup
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Rashers of smoked streaky bacon (optional)
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 2 Fresh bay leaves
- 2 Celery sticks
- 2 Small size onions
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Large handfuls of greens (for example: kale, chard, or savoy cabbage)
- 1 Cube of vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tins of beans (butter, mixed, or cannellini)
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- 100g dried pasta
- 1 Tin tomatoes
- Black pepper
- Place a large shallow casserole pan over medium heat.
- Slice the bacon finely (if you are using it) and add to the pan with one tablespoon of olive oil, stirring every now and then while preparing your veggies.
- Peel the garlic clove and onion and chop finely.
- As soon as your bacon turns golden, add the garlic and bay leaves, and then the onions.
- Trim and chop the celery and carrots and add them to the pan. Take off and finely chop the tough stalks from the greens and add them to the pan as well. Cook for ten to fifteen minutes, while frequently stirring until caramelised or softened.
- Crumble the stock cube between your fingers and add it to the mix with the tinned tomatoes. Add one tin of water.
- Add the can of beans with the juice and a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- After shredding the beans, add them into the pan and 600ml of boiling water from the kettle.
- Add the pasta and cover the pan. Allow the soup to simmer for ten to fifteen minutes or until the soup has thickened and the pasta is cooked.
- Season your soup to taste and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over with some extra virgin oil when serving.
- To add an extra special touch to the dish, you can add some fresh baby basil leaves and a hint of pesto over the top.
Broccoli, chicken, and beetroot salad with an avocado pesto
- 250g of thin-stemmed broccoli
- 3 Chicken breasts without skin
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 100g of watercress
- 2 Raw beetroots, peeled, grated or Julien sliced
- 1 Thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Teaspoon nigella seeds
Avocado pesto ingredients:
- 1 Small pack of basil leaves
- 1 Avocado
- 25g Crumbled walnut halves
- ½ Crushed garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Add water to a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the broccoli and cook for two minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Heat a griddle pan and add ½ teaspoon of grapeseed oil and broccoli, roast for two to three minutes, turning until they are lightly charred. Put them aside to cool.
- Brush the remaining oil on the chicken and season well. Griddle chicken for three to four minutes on each side or until it is cooked. Allow to cool and shred or slice it into chunky pieces.
- Next step: making the pesto – Pick the basil leaves and leave a handful for the salad. Place the rest into the food processor. Empty the flesh from the avocado and add to the food processor with walnuts, garlic, one tablespoon lemon juice, oil, three tablespoons cold water and seasoning. Blitz everything until smooth and add to a serving dish. Pour the rest of the lemon juice over the sliced red onions and put aside for a few minutes.
- Add the watercress to a large serving dish or platter. Mix through the onion and broccoli with the lemon juice and allow it to soak in. Top it up with the beetroot, but do not mix, and the chicken. Add the remaining basil leaves, nigellas seeds, and lemon zest and serve with the pesto.
Lean spaghetti with turkey meatballs
- 2 Bread slices soaked into milk for five minutes
- 350g of 85% Lean ground beef
- 350g of Ground turkey breast
- ½ Cup of chopped parsley (for garnish)
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons of grated parmesan (for garnish)
- ½ Teaspoon of pepper
- ¾ Teaspoon of salt
- 1 Minced onion
- 3 Minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 450g Whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 Can whole peeled tomatoes
- Take the bread out of the milk, squeeze as much liquid out as you can, and tear into small pieces.
- Mix the beef, egg, turkey, Parmesan, parsley, pepper, salt, half of the garlic, and half of the onion. From into small sized balls (golf ball size).
- Take half of the olive oil and heat in a large non-stick sauté pan or skillet and cook the meatballs until well brown over medium heat. Set them aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan and start cooking the remaining garlic and onion until translucent over medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the meatballs and cook for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Cook the whole-wheat pasta according to the instructions on the packet, until al dente.
- Divide the dish into six bowls or plates, add the meatballs and sauce, and garnish with the Parmesan and parsley.
Ginger and turmeric tonic with chia seeds
- 1 Coarsely chopped 4-inch peeled ginger
- 1 coarsely chopped 4-inch peeled turmeric or ½ teaspoon of dried turmeric powder
- ¼ Cup of fresh lime juice
- 1/3 Cup of honey
- 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of black peppercorns
- Club soda for serving
- Thyme sprigs (optional: for serving)
- Use a blender to blend the honey, ginger, turmeric, lime juice, and three cups of water until a smooth consistency. Use a fine-mesh sieve to strain the mixture through into a large bowl. Add the chia seeds and stir through until they start to swell, about eight to ten minutes.
- Divide the tonic into ice-filled glasses and top it off with the club soda and garnish of thyme sprigs.
- The tonic can be made one day prior to drinking, cover and allow to chill. Stir it vigorously before adding the club soda.
One of the hardest things about trying to lose weight can be worrying about what you eat. These healthy recipes for weight loss will help you on your weight loss mission guilt free knowing you will have wonderful meals ahead.