If you regularly get intense menstrual pain you are probably needing natural menstrual pain remedies rather than taking pain medication every month. Menstrual pain (dysmenorrhea) is believed to be the result of compounds in your body referred to as prostaglandins. Before your period starts every month, your prostaglandin levels increase in the lining of your uterus. These levels are generally at their highest on the first day of your period, which is why period pain is typically worse then.
When your period progresses and the uterus lining is shed, the prostaglandin levels decrease and the cramps ease up. While over the counter medications and painkillers can lower your pain and ease discomfort, there are various natural menstrual pain remedies that you can also give a go. To find out how to reduce period pain at home during “that time of the month”, keep reading.
Menstrual Pain Symptoms
Menstrual symptoms generally include cramping or throbbing pains in your lower abdomen. Most women experience cramping just prior to or during their periods. For some, the discomfort is merely annoying, however, for others it can be severe enough to impact everyday activities for several days each month. Health conditions like uterine fibroids or endometriosis cause menstrual pain. Treating the source of the pain is key to bringing pain relief. Menstrual cramps not caused by these conditions tend to improve with age and sometimes after giving birth.
Menstrual pain symptoms include:
- Cramping or throbbing in the lower abdomen that can be painful
- Pain that begins one to three days before menstruation, peaking at 24 hours after the onset of your period and subsiding within two to three days
- Dull, ongoing ache
- Pain that travels to the lower back and thighs
- In some cases, women also have headaches, nausea, dizziness, or loose stools.
Unbearable period pain should be addressed by a doctor as it could signal an underlying medical issue.
When To See a Doctor
You should see a doctor when:
- Menstrual cramps are disrupting your life each month
- Your menstrual symptoms progressively get worse
- You only started having severe menstrual cramps after the age of 25
A heavy menstrual cycle can be a sign of an underlying health issue. Extensive blood loss from an ongoing heavy period can result in iron-deficiency anemia, which in itself is reason for concern. In many instances, the heavy bleeding is not due to illness. Lifestyle issues like stress or sometimes even travel can temporarily worsen your period. Women in their thirties and forties can also experience heavier periods due to the onset of perimenopause.
5 Best Natural Menstrual Pain Remedies
Instead of reaching for over the counter painkillers or medications, you can try these natural menstrual pain remedies to see if it offers relief.
Foods That Reduce Menstrual Pain
Menstrual cramps are not just annoying and painful but are also linked to fatigue and interfering with your ability to go about your normal daily routine. If pain medication is not enough to offer relief and ease the symptoms of menstrual cramp, you may want to try changing your diet. Certain foods, herbs, and spices can go a long way in easing painful period pains.
Bananas are readily available and a staple in many pantries. They are packed with fiber and assist with more comfortable bowel movements. Subsequently, you might feel less bloated and even less pain. These delicious fruits also contain potassium which is known for reducing the severity of period pains. Just keep in mind that they have a high natural sugar content, so enjoy them in moderation.
Some believe that ginger is an excellent spice for easing menstrual cramps due to its anti-inflammatory properties and ability for producing pain-causing prostaglandins.
Lemons are packed with vitamins, including vitamin C which assists the body in absorbing iron from foods into your tissues and bloodstream. Since you might be losing more red blood cells during menstruation, lemons can be helpful in adding additional vitamin C to increase iron absorption. Lemons also have a fiber content which is excellent for keeping muscle spasms at bay.
Fennel contains anethole, a compound that is thought of to relieve spasms. It is a herb with a celery-like crunch and a liquorice-like taste. It is worth adding it to diet to see if it helps to soothe muscle cramps. You can also make fennel tea.
Oranges are one of the best foods for relieving period cramps because it contains vitamins C and D, potassium, and magnesium. This versatile fruit contains almost as many nutrients as milk. A few oranges a day might keep the menstrual pain and cramps at bay.
Watermelon is not only light and sweet, but also refreshing. You can make a delicious smoothie to provide your body with much-needed hydration as it contains mostly water. The natural sugar content that is released into your bloodstream may even help with easing cramps.
Broccoli is considered a superfood for easing menstrual pains. It contains iron and fiber that helps with combating cramps.
Kale is another great option for soothing painful menstrual cramps for the same reason as broccoli and other greens – it is packed with calcium and magnesium. A calcium deficiency can also amplify muscle contractions and spasms. Apart from easing menstrual cramps, kale can also boost your immune system.
Drinks That Can Help Soothe Menstrual Cramps
The best drink for overall health and soothing period pains is water. When you bleed you lose some of the water in your body, that’s why you need to replenish yourself again. Pain elevates when you are dehydrated. Drinking plenty of water can keep gas and bloating at bay and help your muscles relax.
Some herbal teas can offer relief for menstrual cramps. There is not a lot of research that substantiates this but women across different cultures have been using herbal teas to soothe menstrual cramps for centuries. Peppermint and chamomile tea in particular are the go-to herbal teas for calming your body. Other teas to consider are made with fennel, cramp bark and ginger.
Exercises That Relieve Menstrual Pain
If you experience a lot of discomfort due to fatigue, cramping and bloating when you have your period, exercise is probably the last thing on your mind. However, studies have shown that working out can be an excellent treatment for symptoms associated with PMS and menstrual pain. Not only can it help distract you from your discomfort, but it has plenty of other benefits as far as decreasing cramping, inflammation, pain, and soreness are concerned.
A long walk at a steady pace can do wonders for easing period pains and boosting your mood. Put on a pair of sneakers and aim for a twenty to thirty minute walk. It can improve blood circulation, reduce bloating, and release “feel good” hormones called endorphins.
A brisk aerobic workout can assist with soothing those annoying cramps. Research shows that it boosts your heart rate and endorphins which improves your mood and reduces pain. Try elliptical exercises, doing a cardio dance class, or a few rows on a rowing machine. The goal is to warm up your body while breaking out a light sweat.
It comes as no surprise that yoga is excellent for improving strength and balance as well as reducing depression and anxiety. However, did you know that it can also soothe menstrual cramps alongside other period-related symptoms such as cold sweats and breast tenderness? Yoga is amazing since it keeps your focus on relaxation, deep breathing, and meditation. The right breathing techniques transfers oxygen-rich blood back into your muscles, subsequently reducing cramps.
This might not be a major sweat-inducing exercise however, it is excellent for unyielding pain. When you stretch, it lengthens your muscles which assists with reducing annoying cramps. Stretching is also a great remedy for alleviating stress – a factor that increases menstrual pain.
If you suffer from menstrual cramps, you know that it can range from mild to severe. While there are many methods to offer relief, a commonplace tactic is using heating pads which not only feels comforting but goes a long way in offering pain relief.
Hot Water Bottle
There’s nothing wrong with trying the tried-and true remedy of easing your aches and pains using a hot water bottle. It helps relax tense muscles that cause cramping and spasms.
If you don’t have heating pads or a hot water bottle, you can also use a hot towel or take a warm bath or shower. Moisturized heat offers a soothing feeling and helps with pain relief. Bathing can also boost blood circulation in your pelvic region, relax muscles, stimulate cell movement, and give you a chance to relax a bit in the warm water and forget about stress for a few blissful minutes.
Essential Oils For Relief Of Cramps
There are several natural remedies to soothe menstrual cramps which brings us to the final remedy – essential oils. Some of you might already have them on hand due to their many benefits. For relief of menstrual cramps, the best approach for essential oils is to massage it into the affected area. Mix a few drops with your preferred carrier oil. Carrier oils like olive oil or coconut oil must be added due to the potency of pure essential oils. It can also make it easier to apply and use with a massage.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint, an herbaceous oil is a commonplace choice because of its pleasant and refreshing scent. From cramps to headaches, this oil is wonderful for making you feel more balanced, relieving nausea and cramps usually experienced with menstruation.
Lavender Essential Oil
Apart from being effective for anxiety relief, insomnia and skin irritations, this oil is also a good choice for relieving cramps. Lavender oil is a natural muscle relaxer to help you get rid of tension. You can mix it with a carrier oil and apply it topically or you can add a few drops into your bath water.
Rose Essential Oil
Rose is not only a flower, but also an essential oil that promotes better sleep and lowers anxiety, inflammation, and menstrual cramping. Dilute a few drops with coconut oil and massage it into your abdominal area.
Cinnamon Essential Oil
Cinnamon is mostly known for its culinary uses however this aromatic spice has also been a go-to remedy for medicinal purposes. It has anti-inflammatory properties and the diluted oil can also be massaged into your belly region to soothe menstrual cramping.
Natural Products For Menstrual Pain Relief
Faithful To Nature is one of the best reputable online sellers of 100% natural, pure, and organic products. They stock more than 1000s of products and ingredients are scrutinized to ensure you are getting the best quality products to promote a greener and healthier lifestyle. These natural remedies for periods are sure to help ease your discomfort.
Earthway Infusions Menstrual Relief Balm
If menstrual cramps are getting you down, look no further. The Earthway infusions natural menstrual relief balm is made with arnica, clary sage, chamomile, lavender, and ginger oils specifically formulated to bring pain relief and lower emotional stress from PMS symptoms. The beeswax and almond oil base offers an excellent substitute for chemical-laden painkillers and medications.
- Size: 50ml
- 100% natural product
- Lovely natural aroma
- Arnica oil for pain relief
- Clary sage oil for reducing inflammation and reducing cramps and spasms
- Lavender oil for lowering stress, easing anxiety, and inducing restful sleep
- Clove oil for lessening fatigue, stress relief, and soothing cramps
- Chamomile oil for muscle relaxation and lessening fatigue and stress
This product has a four-star rating with clients mostly commenting on the lovely scent, overall effectiveness, and mood-enhancing properties.
Sfera Agnus Castus Herbal Supplement
Sfera Agnus Castus, also referred to as chasteberry, is an excellent remedy for regulating your estrogen and progesterone levels, keeping your mood in check and ridding you of annoying PMS symptoms. It may also help with boosting fertility which makes it an excellent herbal supplement for any green-conscious lady.
- Includes 60 capsules
- Dosage: one capsule in the morning daily with food
- Contains chaste tree extract and powder
- Use for at least three months for best results
- Relief PMS-related symptoms
- Balances and stimulates estrogen and progesterone levels
- Offer relief for tension, mood changes, and anxiety
- Assists with regulating excessively short or long menstrual cycles
- Helps with normalizing heavy periods
- Can help with combating infertility
- Not suitable for pregnant, breastfeeding or anemic women
- Avoid taking Sfera Agnus Castus if you are hypo-allergenic or have sensitivities
- Do not take this product if you are taking any hormone-containing meds, are undergoing hormone replacement therapy, or are taking oral contraceptives. Speak to your doctor before using it, especially if you are trying to conceive.
- Not suitable for individuals that are taking contraception, antidepressants, or any hormonal supplements
This product received 4.5 stars with customers saying it is a fantastic product that changed their lives.
Feelgood Health Don Quai
Asian healers have been using Don Quai for centuries as a natural remedy for balancing female hormones and offering relief for PMS and menstrual symptoms. It also has antispasmodic properties that promotes muscle relaxation and treating hypertension in women and men.
- Contains 50ml
- Dosage: 15-20 drops two to three times daily in juice or water
- Long-term use is advisable for best results
- 100% Angelica Sinesis content
- Also contains Aqua and Ethanol
- To be taken alongside other healthy lifestyle adaptations
- Soothing PMS, menopause, and menstrual-related symptoms
- Correcting hormonal imbalances and preventing excess estrogen levels
- PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) symptom relief
- Excellent female reproductive system tonic
- Reducing hypertension and high blood pressure
This product has a four star rating with clients commenting on the effectiveness, pleasant taste, and overall quality.
Pure Herbal Remedies Ladies Support
A daily dose of pure herbal remedies ladies support can be helpful for PMS, menstrual, menopause, and premenstrual-related symptoms. It also helps prevent irregular periods and enhance hormonal imbalance. This product is a 100% herbal supplement that contains wild yam, dong quai, black cohosh, and motherwort among others.
- Contains 50ml
- Dosage: 20 drops three times daily
- 100% Herbal capsules
- Chaste berry for normalizing and stimulating pituitary gland, relieving PMS symptoms and enhancing progesterone function
- Motherwort for pain relief and easing insomnia and menopause and menstrual symptoms
- Dong Quai for alleviating menstrual and menopausal symptoms and boosting effects of ovarian hormones
- Wild yam mimics estrogen hormones and alleviate menstrual, menopause, and PMS symptoms
- Dandelion acting as a liver tonic and preventing water retention
- Ginger provides powerful antioxidants and boosts blood circulation
- Burdock is anti-inflammatory, boosts digestion, and cleanses your liver and blood
- Black cohosh regulates hormone levels and eases ovarian cramps and menopause symptoms
This product has a 4.5-star rating with customers saying it is a great product for relieving menstrual and menopause symptoms.
Yoni Steaming Herbs Cleansing Mix Steam Pack
Vaginal steaming works similar to steam inhalation to offer relief for blocked sinuses, enhancing blood flow, diluting blood vessels, and absorbing oils released from herbs. This cleansing mix is specially formulated to boost circulation in reproductive organs, soothe painful menstrual cramps, and act as an antiseptic for wound healing.
- 2 Pack herbal mix
- 48-70 grams per pack, depending on the herbal mix
- Ingredients include basil, rosemary, lemon balm, rose petals, oregano, and marigold
- Herbal steam pack for releasing oils and absorption via vaginal tissue
- Helpful for balancing hormones, reducing PMS and menstrual symptoms, and healing after childbirth
- Rosemary boosts circulation in reproductive organs, clears out stagnant fluids and act as antiseptic to promote healing
- Oregano promotes absent periods, stimulates and strengthens the uterus, and acts as protection against infection
- Basil and rose petals induces absent period and reduces menstrual pains
- Marigold promotes healing, reduces inflammation, and acts as uterine tonic
- Lemon balm eases menstrual cramps
- Vaginal steaming is not recommended for pregnant women
- Do not use with essential oils as it might inflict damage due to their potency
- Remove any piercings beforehand as the metal might heat up and cause burns
- Women with heavy periods are discouraged to use this product as it might exacerbate bleeding
- Do not use if you have any infections, open wounds or sores as this is not a medical product – it simply promotes healing
Customers gave this product 4.5 stars, saying it is life-changing and worth every cent.
Herbxtract Menstrual Cramps Essential Oil
Herbxtract essential oil blend for menstrual cramps contains pure lavender, clary sage, and ylang ylang essential oils to uplift mood and ease belly and menstrual pains. The essential oils are mixed with a grapeseed carrier oil which means you can apply the product directly to your skin. You can also add a few drops to your bath water to help you relax and enjoy a few moments of well-deserved self-care.
- Contains 20ml
- Usage: Massage 4-5 drops into your abdomen using a circulation motion, or add 5 drops to your batch water
- 100% Pure essential oil blend
- Women-founded brand
- Made locally
- Lab-tested for high-quality insurance
- Contains no fillers, chemicals, or preservatives
- Grapeseed carrier oil
- Contains clary sage, lavender and ylang ylang essential oils
- Reducing swelling, pain and keeping food cravings at bay
- Ylang ylang relieves anxiety, shock and stress
- Clary sage offer relief for menstrual pain and cramps
- Lavender induces relaxation, eases anxiety and tension, and encourages peaceful sleep
- Not suitable for pregnant women or on infants
- Keep away from kids
- For external use only
There are currently no reviews for this item.
Flordis Premular Premenstrual and Menstrual Tablets
Not all women experience menstrual or premenstrual symptoms equally. Some symptoms include social anxiety, breast tenderness, bloating, abdominal cramps, and more. Flordis Premular is specially formulated to offer relief and regulate monthly menstrual cycles.
- Contains 30 tablets
- Dosage: one tablet in the morning with food, preferably at the same time each day
- Take for at least three months for best results
- Dairy / monohydrate lactose induced
- Might contain palm oil from the magnesium stearate addition
- Manufactured in Switzerland
- Regulating menstrual cycles
- Can be useful for pain relief and soothing headaches
- Helpful in easing premenstrual symptoms
- Not suitable for girls under the age of 12
- Consult your doctor before using this product if you have any pre-existing medical conditions
- This product has known interactions of iron when used with tetracycline antibiotics
There are currently no reviews for this item.
Himalaya Evecare Tablets
This fantastic product provides all-round female uterine care. It is a 100% plant-based and natural product specifically targeting PMS and menstrual symptoms as well as easing heavy bleeding and hormonal irregularities.
- Contains 30 tablets
- Dosage: speak to your physician about the recommended dosage for your condition
- 100% Natural product
- Hemostatic product that puts heavy menstrual bleeding to a halt
- Vegan and vegetarian-friendly
- Holistic female uterine care product
- Regulating menstrual bleeding
- Boosting fertility
- Rectifying hormonal irregularities
- Healing inflamed endometrium during monthly cycles
- Repairing the endometrium
- Enhancing sexual libido
- Has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties for pain relief and healing
This product received four stars with customers saying it assisted them with bloating, menstrual pains and irregular cycles.
We hope you found this article about the best natural menstrual pain remedies and top product recommendations helpful and that it has answered any questions that you may have had.
Love this article I found it very informative, interesting and helpful.
One is never to old to learn new things and I am definitely going to be using this for the days when those pains are to much to handle.
My daughter goes through the worst menstrual pain thank you for sharing this article i will be trying some of these remedies on her