For nursing mothers, maintaining a healthy milk supply is essential to ensure the well-being of their little ones. While there are various ways to boost lactation, one delightful and effective method is indulging in lactation cookies. These cookies not only taste great but are also packed with ingredients known to support milk production. In this blog post, we’ll share a tried-and-true lactation cookies recipe that will satisfy your sweet cravings while helping you nourish your baby.
***Disclosure -The links in this post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.***
Why Lactation Cookies?
Lactation cookies are not just a sweet treat; they are a purposeful snack designed to promote lactation. These cookies are typically enriched with galactagogues – substances that enhance milk production. Key ingredients in lactation cookies include oats, flaxseed, brewer’s yeast, and fenugreek, all of which are believed to boost milk supply naturally.
Let’s get started with a simple and delicious lactation cookies recipe.
Lactation Cookies Recipe
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond meal (or ground almonds)
- ¼ cup brewer’s yeast
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- ½ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (you can also use coconut oil for a dairy-free option)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup chocolate chips or dried fruit (optional)
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat Your Oven: Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the oats, whole wheat flour, almond meal, brewer’s yeast, flaxseed meal, baking soda, salt, and optional spices (cinnamon and nutmeg).
- Cream the Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter (or coconut oil), granulated sugar, and brown sugar until the mixture is smooth. Then, add the egg, vanilla extract, and water, and mix until well combined.
- Combine Wet and Dry Mixtures: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until everything is well incorporated. If desired, fold in the chocolate chips, dried fruit, or nuts.
- Scoop and Bake: Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown but the centres are still soft.
- Cool and Enjoy: Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Now, you have a batch of delicious lactation cookies ready to enjoy. Store them in an airtight container to maintain their freshness.
Lactation cookies are not only a delightful snack but also a valuable tool for nursing mothers. This lactation cookies recipe combines both taste and functionality, making it an excellent choice for moms looking to boost their milk supply while satisfying their sweet tooth. Remember to consult with your healthcare provider if you have specific concerns about your lactation, but for many moms, these cookies can be a tasty addition to their breastfeeding journey. Happy baking and nursing!