Mushroom & Cheese Soufflé Toasts
Makes 4 toasts
- 15ml oil
- 150g button or portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 30ml butter
- 25ml cake flour
- 80ml milk, hot
- 5ml Dijon mustard
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and milled black pepper
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- 5ml parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the mushrooms for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and cook for another minute. Set aside and reserve one third for garnish.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes, mixing well.
- Add the hot milk and stirring continuously, keep stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard and cheese.
- Allow to cool slightly and stir in the egg yolks and reserved mushroom mixture. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a spotlessly clean bowl, whisk the egg whites, using an electric whisk, until soft peaks form.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the mushroom mixture.
- Arrange the toast slices onto a baking sheet and spoon the mixture onto the toasts.
- Bake for 5 – 6 minutes or until golden and puffy. Serve at once topped with the reserved mushrooms and some parsley.
Boerewors Stuffed Mushrooms
Serves 4-6 as a snack
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 250g boerewors, removed from casings
- 12 Portabellini mushrooms, cleaned, stalks removed and reserved
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 150g full-fat cream cheese
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- In the meantime, heat coconut oil in a pan and brown the wors mince, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
- Finely chop the mushroom stalks and add to the pan with the chilli. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the cream cheese and parsley and taste for seasoning.
- Pack into the 12 mushroom caps, place into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until browned and bubbling.
Mushroom and Bacon Salsa Stuffed Avocado
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 100g streaky bacon, cut into cubes
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 150g fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado, halved
- Fry the bacon in a pan over medium heat until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the bacon fat, cook the red pepper and mushrooms until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Combine mushroom mixture with the bacon, fresh tomato, spring onion and coriander. Spoon into the avo halves and serve with lime wedges.
Mushroom, broccolini & cracked baby potato tray bake with garlic butter
A scrumptious, crowd-pleasing side dish for your next braai.
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 700g-1kg baby potatoes
- 125 g butter, melted
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped/grated
- rind of a small lemon, finely grated
- a generous handful fresh parsley, finely chopped (save half for garnish)
- salt & pepper
- at least 250 g portabellini mushrooms
- 200-300 g broccolini spears
- olive oil, for drizzling
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Make the garlic butter drizzle: mix the butter, oil, garlic, lemon rind, parsley in a medium jug/bowl, and season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Arrange the potatoes in a large oven tray, then use the back of a spoon to gently crack them. Add the mushrooms & broccolini, then drizzle with the butter mixture and season with salt & pepper. Bake in a preheated oven at 220 C for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown. Scatter with parsley and serve at once.
Mushroom, halloumi & yellow pepper skewers with mint salsa verde
Turn everyday veggie skewers into a feast with salty halloumi and a zesty green herb sauce.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 punnet (20 g) fresh mint leaves (save a few leaves for garnish)
- 1 punnet (20 g) fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- grated rind & juice of a lemon
- salt & pepper
- 250 g portabellini mushrooms, whole or halved
- about 250 g halloumi cheese, cubed
- 2 medium yellow peppers, sliced into squares
- For the salsa verde: put the olive oil, mint, parsley, garlic, lemon rind & juice and some salt & pepper into a small blender. Blend to a smooth pulp. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the skewers: assemble the skewers by arranging chunks of mushrooms, halloumi & yellow pepper together. Braai over hot coals or bake in a very hot oven at 220 C for about 10 minutes until golden. Drizzle with salsa verde en serve at once.