Most children will experience a tummy ache or abdominal pain at some point and for various reasons. It is best to be prepared with some knowledge of natural remedies for tummy aches in children.
The Causes Of Abdominal Pain
- The most popular cause for general tummy aches in toddlers is due to an imbalance in their digestive system.
- Tummy aches due to constipation usually include fewer bowel movements, stool that is harder than usual or having difficulty in passing a stool.
- Gas build-up may lead to sudden cramp-like stomach ache.
- Tummy aches are sometimes caused by food intolerance or allergies and will generally occur after eating a certain type of food.
- Since toddlers often have trouble in expressing their feelings and keep them on the inside, stress and emotional problems can also lead to tummy ache.
- Stomach aches accompanied by fever systems are usually an indication of infection due to parasites, viruses or bacteria.
- Tummy pain can be due to a urinary tract infection.
Always take other symptoms in conjunction with a tummy ache into consideration and if a tummy ache doesn’t settle within a few hours, its best to consult with your doctor.
3 Natural Remedies For Tummy Aches In Children
An excellent remedy for uncomplicated tummy aches is chamomile tea due to its soothing properties for lining the bowel and anti-infective benefits.
Mint and freshly grated ginger tea
Ginger is known for providing relief for nausea symptoms and increasing the secreting of digestive enzymes while mint is useful for easing stomach cramps.
Milk of magnesia for relief of constipation
Milk of magnesia assists by escalating the water content and the volume of the stool and to help encourage a bowel movement. The formula acts as an antacid and mild laxative. It shouldn’t however be used long term, only when your child is very constipated. Make sure to pay careful attention to the recommended dosage for your child’s age.