Postpartum Depression is a medical complication that can happen after giving birth to a child. Like any other mental illnesses, it can happen to any mother.
Experts claimed that postpartum depression has a direct effect on a child’s growth and behavior. Approximately, 70%-80% of mothers may experience baby blues and postpartum with mild to severe conditions.
Symptoms of postpartum depression may include the following:
- Avoiding social interactions
- Difficulty bonding with the baby
- Mild to severe mood swings
- Excessive crying
- Loss of appetite or eating too much
- Trouble sleeping or excessive sleeping
- Loss of interest in activities
- Loss of energy
- Inability to concentrate
- Feeling of hopelessness
Although baby blues usually disappear within a few days up to two weeks – unwarranted cases of postpartum depression may last months or longer. Thus, it requires medical attention and treatment.
Some treatments may involve mental health counseling, psychotherapy, and medications. People sometimes will even try using alternative natural remedies. One of these is using essential oils.
Below is the list of essential oils proven effective in combating postpartum depression:
- Vetiver Essential Oil – People use vetiver oil in psychological calming. It can alleviate emotional stress, anxiety, panic attacks, hysteria, and depression. Other mental health illnesses such as ADHD also use this as a tool for medication.
- Lemongrass Essential Oil – Its scent revitalizes and uplifts the mood. It can ease stress nausea, relieve stress, and regulate blood pressure.
- Lavender Essential Oil – Experts evaluated this oil to improve postpartum depression. Because of its calming properties, this serves as a treatment for neurological issues.
- Bergamot Essential Oil – People recognize its hormone balancing properties as an anti-depressant. It also helps in energy flow, blood circulation and uplifting the mood.
- Jasmine Essential Oil – This oil is a popular anti-anxiety drug – a mild sedative beneficial in calming and relaxation.
- Rose Essential Oil – Experts consider it as a treatment for anxiety disorders. It can reduce postpartum tendencies because of its anti-depressant properties.
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil – Like Jasmine, this oil is also a mild sedative that can lower the stress level. It can curb negative thoughts associated with depression and useful in hormonal balance.
- Clary Sage Essential Oil – This oil promotes feelings of hope, and alleviates fear and anxiety. A proven anti-depressant that modifies dopamine pathways in the brain.
- Geranium Essential Oil – It normalizes feelings through improving mental functioning. This oil also helps pregnant women reduce their anxiety during labor.
- Neroli Essential Oil – It drives away sadness and stimulates happiness. That’s why people use this as a reliever for chronic depression.
As per suggested by aromatherapists, people can mix several of these oils to produce inhaler, oil diffuser, massage oil, and bath oil.
Since essential oils are plant extracts, it’s important to consult with a certified aromatherapist. Ask for instructions on what, when and how to use these.
Postpartum depression is a serious mental health problem that needs medical attention. It’s important to visit medical doctors and experts to seek the right treatment. Of course, a consistent support system, from friends and family, is as essential in getting better.
About The Author
This guest post article was provided by Got Oil Supplies. Got Oil Supplies is your one stop shop for essential oil container and accessory needs. And there is a 10% off coupon code available for new visitors if you sign up for our newsletter!