Lactation cookies are very popular among breastfeeding mommies. Apparently lactation cookies can boost your milk supply.
Eating the dough as well as the cookies is apparently even more effective at increasing supply. Do not eat the dough if you are pregnant due to the risk of eating raw egg.
You can replace some of the ingredients with organic, local ingredients. Keep in mind that the cookies need to be sweet to hide the very bitter taste of some of the more powerful ingredients.
- 1 cup self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup low fat butter (or alternatively organic, virgin coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (found in health shops)
- 1 egg
- 2 – 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 – 2 tablespoons brewers yeast (do not substitute this with any other yeast!)
- 1/2 teaspooon salt (himalayan salt if possible)
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- Preheat your oven to 170°C
- Cream the butter and sugar then add the egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed and water, let sit for a few minutes before adding to mix.
- Add the dry ingredients (apart from the oats) and mix well again.
- Stir in the oats
- Spoon the mixture onto a lightly greased baking tray, use approximately 1 heaped tablespoon per biscuit. You can flatten them a little or if you like a soft centre you can make them into balls
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes depending on how crunchy you would like them
Another great thing to try for increasing breast milk, that will also increase your energy levels is Jungle Juice.