This Chinese style mushroom and mixed grain stir-fry is not only delicious, it is also nutritious and quick and easy to prepare which makes it an all round winner.
- 1 egg
- 5ml sesame oil
- 5ml + 15ml oil
- 250g mushrooms, quartered
- ½ small red cabbage, shredded
- ½ carrot, thinly sliced into strips
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 15ml soy sauce
- 45ml oyster or black bean sauce
- 80g frozen peas
- 60g bean sprouts, optional
- 250g mixed grains or brown rice, cooked
- Whisk the egg and sesame oil in a bowl. Heat a wok or frying pan over a high heat. Add 5ml oil. Swirl to coat.
- Add the egg mixture and swirl to coat. Cook for 1 minute or until just set. Transfer to a board. Roll up and thinly slice. Set aside. Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and fry the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrot, spring onions, garlic and chilli. Stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Cook’s note – Add stir-fried beef or chicken strips if desired.
Recipe supplied by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association