One of my favourite treats to eat is blueberry muffins and this blueberry muffin recipe is the best ever. It is super quick and easy to make, and it uses ingredients I always have on hand so no need to buy anything extra when I want to make this. I make it with frozen blueberries which is much cheaper when you buy the big bag from Checkers plus you can keep them for much longer than fresh blueberries.
Blueberries are super foods and offer many amazing health benefits, so it is a great ingredient to add to treats to make them a little healthier.
Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup of oil
- 1 egg
- approximately ½ cup of milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 cup blueberries (I love blueberries so I often add in 1 ½ cups)
- Whisk the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder together in a bowl
- Add the egg and oil to a measuring jug then add milk up to the 1 cup line
- Add vanilla essence to the measuring jug and whisk
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together with a fork until just combined (don’t overmix)
- Fold the blueberries into the batter
- Add the batter to cupcake holders – you can make 6 large muffins, 8 medium muffins or 12 mini muffins.
- Bake at 180°C – baking time will depend on the size of the muffins – approximately 15 minutes for mini muffins, 20 minutes for medium muffins and 30 minutes for the large muffins. The best is to keep an eye on them and when they look ready stick a knife in them. If the knife comes out clean they are ready – if some of the batter is on the knife they need more cooking time.
These blueberry muffins make for a fantastic treat for when friends come over for coffee and they are also great for lunch boxes. I’ve played around with this recipe using different fillings instead of blueberries such as strawberry and chocolate baking buttons. Each time it has come out beautifully.