First I have to just get this out of the way, until this chocolate cupcake recipe I was never able to make a cupcake that you could eat, never mind actually enjoy. All the cakes and cupcakes I attempted before this recipe flopped completely. You could break a tooth on them.
I don’t know why but making a cake was always beyond my reach, its not like I can’t cook. In fact I have been told I am a great cook…..
I spent a lot of time trying different recipes and now I have found the ultimate chocolate cupcake recipe.
These cupcakes are delicious, moist and tasty. They are quick and easy to make, even with two young kids helping.
They are also (so far) completely no flop because if I can’t mess up these cupcakes I totally believe that nobody will be able to make a flop out of them.
***Disclosure -The links in this post contain affiliate links and Kaboutjie may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.***
Best Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Ingredients for Cupcake Mix:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
Ingredients for Vanilla Icing:
- 1 cup butter
- 3 – 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 – 3 tablespoons milk or cream
Method for Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Spray cupcake liners with non-stick cooking spray
- In a big bowl add all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb of soda, sale and espresso powder)
- Add the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla into the dry ingredients and mix with an electric beater on medium speed until all the ingredients are mixed.
- Reduce the speed and add the boiling water.
- Increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the mix to the cupcake holders in a cupcake baking tray.
- Bake at 180°C for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before icing them.
Method for Icing:
- Beat the butter until it is smooth and lighter in color which should take about 3 minutes.
- Add the icing sugar in ½ a cup at a time while beating.
- Add in the vanilla, salt and milk or cream and beat.
- If the consistency is too thick add a little more milk or cream. If the mixture is too runny add a little more icing sugar.
And that is it, quick and easy right? We love making this at home on the weekends and I buy different sprinkles for my kids to decorate them with.
This is a great activity to do with my kids and I really suggest you give these a go. Why buy cupcakes for school sales and for birthday parties when you can make your own in a jiffy?
If you try this recipe out let me know!