When you are considering the best options for buying autism toys for your children, it is essential to take the following into consideration:
- Interests and preferences
- Appropriateness according to the child’s age.
- Ability level.
- The developmental stage.
- His/her individual special needs.
For children that have a lot of energy and that struggle to find a constructive way in harnessing energy, physical activity toys are an excellent choice.
Educational toys for autism are a great choice for supporting a child in meeting his academic goals and assisting them with therapeutic goals as well as their curriculum.
***Disclosure -The links in this post may contain affiliate links and Kaboutjie may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.***
Why choose Sensory toys?
Co-occurring symptoms and diagnoses are one of the vital considerations when choosing autism toys. These toys are available in a wide range of sizes in shapes including:
- Chew toys
- Hand toys
Sensory items are designed to engage the child’s preferred sense in such a way that it makes sense to him/her and being enjoyable at the same time.
Children that undergoes therapy for SPD (Sensory processing disorder) are often overwhelmed by the process and by introducing them to sights, smells, tastes and textures can often cause stress or anxiety.
By using Sensory toys that are familiar and make them feel comfortable, is an excellent way to introduce them to these new stimuli as well as having a “safe object” can be helpful during therapy and during stressful times. When the child is able to process a certain sense better, a variation of that sense or other senses can be introduced. The goal of Sensory toys is to minimise the child’s fear around his/her senses by incorporating a less dramatic way of learning through playing.
Read Also – 6 Tips To Help Children With Auditory Processing Disorder Cope At School and At Home
What is SPD (Sensory processing disorder)?
SPD is classified as a neurological disorder that is causing challenges with processing information related to the five senses,
and/or positional sense (proprioception) as well as sense of movement (vestibular system).
Basically, someone suffering from SPD has the ability of sensing sensory information but it is perceived abnormally by the brain which causes confusion, distress and discomfort. Distorted sensory input can be very challenging to many aspects of life for an autistic child including:
- Social interaction
- And even their safety
The inability to communicate the discomfort they are experiencing paired with distorted sensory perception often leads to tantrums in toddlers, young children or babies. When the child is showing autism symptoms, early intervention can go a long way with helping your child make better sense of his/her environment and finding the best ways to communicating their feelings.
4 Top Sensory Toys for Autistic Children
- Mindful creations sensory chew necklace 3-pack
- Tear-resistant FDA approved chewing necklaces manufactured from 100% food-grade silicone material.
- Each product is tested and contains no latex, lead, BPA, PVC and phthalate, making this product skin and body safe for use.
- This product is an excellent choice for all chewers, is extremely durable and created specifically for children suffering from anxiety, autism, oral fixations, SPD, ADD/ADHD, special needs or chewing relating to general teething.
- Each chewing necklace has a breakaway safety cord to ensure safety, however, these necklaces must be used under adult supervision. A safety clasp is an added feature for additional protection. (Only the bricks are intended for chewing, not the cord and safety clasp).
- These premium silicone necklaces are easily cleaned with water and hand soap or dishwasher safe for removing bacteria or dirt.
- This product comes with a 100% guarantee.
- Sanho Dynamic movement sensory sock (for autistic and sensory processing disorders)
- The body sock is manufactured from high-quality special fabric that is super stretchy, soft, super strong and the ultimate weapon in assisting children that are facing obstacles such as language, autism, social interaction, SPD, ADHD, behavioural patterns or anxiety.
- The Sanho sensory sock comes well recommended for therapeutic effect, assisting kids with developing spatial awareness, gross motor skills, encouraging creative movement, improving balance as well as proper postural control by providing deep pressure input and allowing organisation in the Sensory system.
- Safe and convenient and you can choose one according to your child’s height and the product is available in various colour and size options.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Springfly 12-pack variety sensory toy-bundle
The 12-pack Sensory toy-bundle includes the following items:
Liquid motion timer fidget toy – excellent for calming the brain. The two soft coloured bubbles has a mesmerising and soothing effect and will keep your kids entertained for hours. Great for improving visual tracking skills and is recommended for kids with autism, ADHD, emotional disturbances and any kids that are experiencing forms of anxiety or meltdowns.
Rainbow ball magic cube fidget toy – ball with 12 holes and 11 balls. The empty hole is used for moving small balls into their corresponding colour holes. This exercise is relaxing and can release stress and anxiety. It is a great toy for exercising memory and practising your skills. A great educational toy overall.
3-Pack mesh & marble sensory toys – The marble can be squeezed or slided back and forth, bended, folded or the sleeve can be squeezed together and rolled like a shaking bell.
2-Pack squeeze grape balls – great for relaxing your hands, stress relief and promoting blood circulation. Interesting grape-like design.
2-Piece squeeze soybean fidget toys – The bean is squeezed out over and over again. A great toy for stress relief or killing boredom.
2 Colourful sensory elastic fidget stretch toys – Easily stretch to nine feet. It can be squeezed, stretched, bent and remain in good shape.
1 Fidget chain
All toys are made from 100% non-toxic materials, are environmentally friendly and is safe to play with.
- Infantino Sensory press and stay blocks
- This toy is the ideal first block collection to encourage early engineering skills. The blocks are uniquely shaped and are easily pushed together or pulled apart from any angle. Eliminating frustration and encouraging imagination.
- Winner of the 2017 Autism Live toy award.
- Suitable for 6 months and older.
- 24 Blocks for stacking up or building sideways.
- Made with interesting textures and contrasting colours
I wish we could afford to buy many sets of these toys for our school. Many of our sensory toys are self made.