I came across this creamy garlic chicken recipe on Youtube and it looked so superb that I had to try it. Now one thing that very often happens to me is that I see something that looks amazing and then I try it and its either a complete flop or it does not live up to my expectations, but this creamy garlic chicken recipe tasted better than I expected so I had to share it with you.
If you love saucy meals and you love garlic then you just have to try it!
The first time I tried this recipe there was no parmesan cheese in stock at the supermarket so I left it out and it was still delicious. I’ve since made it a few times with parmesan and it is even better.
***Disclosure -The links in this post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.***
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 5 large cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ block chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- Mix the salt, pepper, paprika, basil, thyme and rosemary together in a bowl, then coat the chicken with the spices
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, then sear the chicken skin side down first then turn it and seat the other side
- Put the chicken pieces aside for later
- Remove as much of the oil as possible using a paper serviette while leaving the spices in the pan
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the onions, cooking them until they are just cooked through
- Add the garlic to the pan stirring continuously, cook just until the aroma of the garlic becomes prominent (only about 2 mins)
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute or two before adding the chicken broth, stirring continuously to avoid it becoming lumpy
- Add the cream and the milk while continuing to stir
- Add in the parmesan and the half block of chicken broth, stirring until the block of broth has melted into the sauce
- Finally stir in the fresh basil and parsley
- Place the chicken pieces in an oven roof dish without a lid, then our the sauce over the chicken
- Bake at 200ºC for 45 minutes
The herbs used in the video to coat the chicken were dried herbs, however I have fresh thyme, basil and rosemary growing in my garden – so I used a mixture of dried herbs (Mixed Herbs and Origanum) and my fresh herbs. I also used a full cup of cream rather than a mixture of milk and cream. I also don’t mess around with garlic, so instead of using the 5 cloves in the recipe I just use the entire bulb. Garlic is great for your immune system so more is best during this pandemic in my opinion.
I’ve tweaked the recipe a few times by adding more chicken pieces when we had more guests and also increasing the ingredients in the recipe by adding in half a cup of milk to the one cup of cream and increasing the amount of flour to 3 tablespoons. Even with tweaking the recipe it comes out perfectly every time so feel free to tweak it to your taste and needs.