Many of us slept in a crib when we were young. That’s because there were no baby bassinet then but today things have changed for the better. Nowadays, many parents prefer to purchase a bassinet rather than a crib. Bassinets are becoming more and more popular every day and it’s because newborns are no longer comfortable sleeping in cribs as they are in bassinets. In fact, one study shows that newborn won’t sleep in crib anymore, they prefer bassinets.
***Disclosure -The links in this post contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.***
So, what exactly are bassinets? Bassinets are small sleeping space for newborn babies. They are somewhat smaller when compared to cribs but they are very comfortable. Its design is similar to that of a normal basket and it’s often referred to as a cradle. The most interesting thing about a bassinet is the fact that it’s portable, so you can always bring it along when you are travelling with your child.
In addition to being portable, baby bassinets can be used from the time your child is born until he/she is around 4 months old. Bassinets are not recommended for children who can sit or roll over because they don’t have the outside protection that comes with a crib- the tall sides.
Why You Need a Baby Bassinet
The fact that you are researching about baby bassinets means that you are pregnant or know someone who is expecting. It’s normal for first time mothers to be confused about the kind of products that they are supposed to purchase for their babies. Your friends and family members who have been blessed to be mothers will always tell you what to buy and what not to buy. Depending on your taste and preference, a baby bassinet may be one of the things that you are not sure whether to purchase or not. A baby bassinet may not be a must purchase, but there are many reasons as to why you should consider them.
- They are smaller and more flexible; you can actually create some space for them in any room of your house
- Since they are usually small and portable, they give you the chance to keep your child close to you whether you are cooking, doing some laundry, watching TV or sleeping
- In case you don’t have enough space for a crib, bassinets are ideally because they are small. In addition, if you prefer not to sleep with your newborn born baby but you want him or her to sleep in your bedroom, bassinets are highly recommended
- Baby bassinets allow you to keep your baby close to you when he is very young. What’s more, it also allows you to move your child from one place to another even when he/she is sleeping
- If you like to travel with your loved ones, baby bassinets is the right product for you
- If you are recovering from a C-section, you would want to have your child close to you. A baby bassinet is the only thing that will allow you to keep him/her close to you
How to Choose the Best Baby Bassinet
There are many things to consider when shopping for baby bassinets. Here is a look at some of the important features that you to consider:
A good bassinet must be safe and comfortable enough for your baby. You need to make sure that the beddings are perfect and ideal for your newborn. One thing about bassinets is that they must meet certain strict safety rules in order to be released for sale. You are also required to follow the following rule to guarantee the safety of your newborn.
- Make sure that you baby is sleeping ho his or her back. The good thing about a bassinet is that you don’t have to struggle so much to keep your baby down on his/her back.
- It’s also important to ensure that your newborn is sleeping on a mattress that is firm and comfortable.
- In order to guarantee the safety of your child at night, make sure that he or she is sleeping on the same room with you. Bassinets are small in size so they can be moved easily and fit in almost in any room.
A good mattress should not be too firm or thin, it should be somewhere in between. It’s highly advisable that you consider a mattress that is less than one inch thick. Experts say that the mattress that you choose should not allow your child to lean at an angle that is more than ten degrees. It’s not ideal to add other things such as blankets, sheets or toys in the bassinet. Use only a mattress cover. The sheets that you use must be compatible with the mattress. They must fit perfectly; otherwise they might cause your newborn to suffocate.
A good bassinet should have a mesh wall that allows air to flow in and out easily. Enough supply of air is recommended so that the baby does not become too cold or too warm. Overheating can be a cause of death for your newborn. If your newborn happens to sleep in a position where his or her face is pressed against the wall, the mesh will allow him or her to breathe properly and save him/her from suffocation.
There is nothing as sweet as a good sleep for a newborn. Sleeping is what babies do best when they are young. In this regard, it is very important to ensure that your baby is sleeping in a safe environment. The materials that he or she sleeps on pose a serious threat to his or her health. In order to guarantee the safety of your child, it’s the responsibility of the parents to make sure that their babies are sleeping in clean materials.
It’s obvious that you child will mess around while sleeping. In this light, it is in your best interest to ensure that the materials you choose are easy to clean. In addition, they should also be easy to dry, otherwise you baby will lack a place to sleep on.
The best way to find the right bassinet for child is to have a perfect idea of what you are looking for. We all have different tastes and preferences, so what might be best for you might not be ideal to someone else. One thing that we can all agree on is that we want our babies to be safe. So, it’s very important for you to choose a baby bassinet that allows you to keep your baby close to you at all times.
About The Author
Stacy Belk – owner of Mom Woot. She is a nurse, midwife and mother of 2 children. Her blog sharing baby/mom tips and health protection to your family.