Disposable diapers have become the norm in recent years with the minority of mothers making use of cloth diapers. While we may think that cloth diapers are old fashioned they have in fact making a huge comeback in recent years.
The days of the white square cloth nappies that were folded and pinned with safety pins are long gone – in their place are fitted cloth diapers in cute designs with absorbent pads that you can easily wash and dry in your machine.
Here are the reasons why you may want to use cloth diapers for your baby rather than disposable diapers:
Cloth Diapers Are Cheaper
In the short term it will be a lot more expensive to purchase cloth diapers but when you consider that you only need to buy them once and you don’t have to buy any more again, in the long run you will save an absolute fortune!
There are also lots of moms that reuse the cloth diapers for their next babies too. You can can replace some of the inserts and a few diapers that may be stretched out and you are all sorted for your next babies.
Cloth Diapers Better For The Environment
This is a biggie – think about all those dirty diapers and where they go. The environmental impact of disposable diapers is catastrophic. It takes hundreds of years for a disposable diapers to decompose and that is when they are in contact with air and sunlight. When they are buried in a landfill nobody knows how much longer it will take.
Even disposable diapers that are marketed as eco-friendly and biodegradable are not going to decompose in landfills.
Disposable diapers make up over 7.6 billion pounds of refuse each year. That is seriously concerning when you think about the plastic, now consider all that baby poop and think about the health risk of that contaminating our ground water?
Cloth Diapers Are Safer For Your Baby
Disposable diapers are made from plastic and they have chemicals in them that may cause harm to your baby. Common chemicals found in disposable diapers are:
- Dioxins – A byproduct that is created when the diapers are bleached white with chlorine. Exposure to dioxins may cause altered liver function and skin reactions, as well as impairments to the reproductive functions, endocrine system, nervous system and immune system.
- Sodium polycarbonate – this absorbent chemical compound is often found in the fillers of disposable diapers. It is possible that this chemical is linked to skin irritations and respiratory problems.
- Tributyl-tin (TBT) – this chemical is to aquatic life and does not degrade. It is also used in biocides.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) – these include chemicals dipentene, xylene, toluen and ethylbenzene. According to the EPA these VOC’s can cause headaches, throat, nose and eye irritation, damage to the kidney, liver and central nervous system.+
In addition to these chemicals you will often also find adhesive chemicals, dyes, fragrances, petrolatums and plastics in disposable diapers.
Considering all that disposable diapers are manufactured from it is not surprising that you baby will be more prone to diaper rashes using disposable diapers than cloth diapers.
The Downside Of Using Cloth Diapers
While using cloth diapers is much cheaper in the long term the initial cost of buying cloth diapers can be a turn off for some parents and simply not an option for others that don’t have enough money available to cover the cost.
Probably the biggest turnoff for most parents when considering cloth diapers is that you will be needing to wash and dry your baby’s diapers instead of being able to just toss it in the bin, especially when it comes to those really messy oops!
However if you look at the reasons why you should consider cloth diapers it really is a small price to pay.
Enter The Fancy Pants Giveaway
Fancypants was created by two mums that wanted the best for their children. It started by designing and creating amazing washable cloth nappies that were super absorbent and made of natural (bamboo) material. The successful development of the Fancypants brand of nappies then led to the development of bamboo nappy liners and soapnuts laundry detergent.
Enter your details into the form below to stand a chance to win a Fancy Pants Hamper to the value of R705.
The hamper includes:
Increase your chances of winning by gaining extra entries:
- Leave a comment below this blog post sharing your tips for choosing the best diapers
- Share this post on social networks, tag @Kaboutjie and include the hashtag #winwithkaboutjie
The winner will be announced via blog post on Thursday 11 October 2018, as well as notified via email.
This competition is open to residents of South Africa only.
Please be sure to check our competition terms.