Gum diseases affect a lot of people around the globe due to poor oral hygiene. Inflammation of gums, bleeding from gums, receding gum line, bad taste, bad breath, loose teeth, tenderness of gums are various signs to be taken seriously as these are indicators that your gums need medical attention. There are 3 stages of gum diseases which moderate from least severe to most severe requiring treatment quickly. The initial stage is known as gingivitis, interim as periodontitis and most severe as advanced periodontitis.
Image © costculator/Dentist
Creating a healthy oral hygiene discipline is the first step towards a long lasting relationship with your gums. Gum diseases are caused by lack of oral hygiene leading to bacteria build-up. The pockets of built-up bacteria lead to irritations and infections of gums causing swollen, bleeding, irritated gums. There is, however, no need to worry as the following tips for on how to reverse gum disease will help you to regain back the natural, healthy gums.
Some basic tips that we all have heard while growing up and which are effective when regularly used are mentioned below:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day, as a morning and bedtime routine is the first step to avoid any gum issues if done daily
- Using a toothbrush with soft bristles instead of hard bristles is the best choice as hard bristles can damage the tooth enamel thereby causing weakening of your toothbrush
- ensure that you change your toothbrush every 3 months as the bristles will tend to wear out
- There is a variety of natural toothpaste tubes available today that are highly beneficial in helping to stop the progress of gum diseases. Markets are flooded with the benefits of such natural toothpaste containing essential oils which are proven to be effective in reducing and reversing many symptoms of gum diseases. Tea tree essential oil is highly renowned for its antiseptic properties as also other ingredients such as Propolis and myrrh.
- Use of a good natural mouthwash is an additional step that should be maintained as mouthwash has a deeper reach in between the gaps where the brush bristles cannot clean effectively
- Flossing is a good habit of picking and keeping as tiny particles that were missed by bristles, and the mouthwash can’t push out can be removed with dental floss.
Image © costculator/Dentist
Oil Pulling Method Of Cleaning
While a regular discipline of maintaining oral hygiene takes place, a home remedy that has been found to be very effective in helping accelerate the reversal of gum diseases is the Oil pulling technique. There have been recently many findings on the benefits of oil pulling techniques with coconut oil. Though other oils such as sunflower or sesame oil can be used, coconut oil is more preferred for this technique due to its mild and sweet flavor. This is a very simple process where you need around a tablespoon of coconut oil, pull it through your teeth while letting it swish for around 15 minutes approximately. Do not, however, swallow it, once done just spit out the oil completely as it contains toxic bacteria and other particles from around your mouth. Oil pulling can be done once daily, and the results will be in front of you within a few days with healthy gums smiling back at you.
Healthy Diet Changes
Having given the oral hygiene tips and oil pulling techniques above, one additional pointer that goes a long way in good health of gums is your diet. Foods that are high in Omega 3 fats such as nuts and seeds are filled with anti-inflammatory properties. Also, salmon or any other fatty fish like herring or mackerel are sources of rich Omega-3 fats. Fruits and vegetables are a great resource for vitamins such as C and E while having a lot of fiber content. Fruits and vegetables like cranberries, kiwis, raisins, and onion are full of these vital vitamins.
Maintaining the good health of your mouth is a simple process, and it is never late to reverse the gum diseases with these natural methods. Keeping your mouth well hydrated by having water to drink is a good practice as saliva contains natural anti-bacterial protection.
Always consult a good dentist and ensure that check-ups are regularly done to be able to enjoy any food and drink, hot or cold without having any gum issues causing you discomfort.