Breastfeeding basics for the new mom.
A precious tiny baby is born, a mother is born too.
To this new baby, the mother is perfect, all that he wants and needs.
The new mother wants the very very best of everything for this perfect child, every item of clothing was specially chosen, the pram, the car seat,the clothes, all the very best she could afford.
***Disclosure -The links in this post may contain affiliate links and Kaboutjie may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.***
Well of course her baby would get the best possible food too. Mommy is going to breastfeed her baby.
Breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world. But that doesn’t mean its always easy in the beginning.
Breastfeeding is an Art and any art takes time to perfect, breastfeeding is the same.
Very few mothers decide from the beginning that they will not breastfeed. Most babies that are formula fed are because mom struggled in some way and had no help or support to over come her difficulty.
Off to a good start
Here are a few basic tips for the early days:
- Put baby to breast as soon as possible after birth;
- The more baby sucks the sooner you will have your milk come in;
- Baby does not need top ups in hospital, a newborns tummy is the size of a marble, the little bit of colostrum is perfect for her;
- It is normal for a new baby to want to feed every hour, it does not mean you do not have enough. This is how your breasts are stimulated to make milk, by giving top ups or a dummy you interfere with this vital stage. It will only last a week or two;
- Moms’ milk supply is only fully established by six weeks so perseverance is needed;
- Correct latch is absolutely vital for successful breast feeding; and
- Breastfeeding should not hurt. If it does, something isn’t right.
If you follow these tips you should not have to worry about supply issues.
For most new mothers support is very important
These will help a mom’s breastfeeding experience to be easier:
- Hubby supporting mom and baby;
- Supportive family;
- Friends that are supportive; and
- Professionals – doctors/ nurses
La leche league is a wonderful support to have.
Who is La Leche League?
La Leche League is an international voluntary organisation. Our Mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.
All leaders have successfully breastfed at least one baby for at least a year.
The leaders help mothers on a one to one basis, or on the telephone or email.
Monthly support meetings are held where mothers can raise concerns and just socialise with other mothers. Children and babies are always welcome.
To find your nearest LLL leader go to the website and look for the list in your area.
(La Leche League Leader)