Cosmetic dental surgery is done by cosmetic dentists, who work in treating, preventing, diagnosing, and studying disorders, diseases, and conditions of the oral cavity. This includes the teeth, jaw, and facial area. Dental surgery procedures are usually associated with fixing the teeth. However, unknown to most people, it also involves treating other supporting structures such as the procedures found on this site, which caters to patients around Syracuse NY.
Most people appreciate the importance of correct dental hygiene and regular dental checkups, but not everybody is willing to undergo all the steps to prevent serious oral problems. In fact, a lot of people are afraid to undergo cosmetic dental surgery, which is due to their lack of knowledge about the benefits of the procedure.
Here are some cosmetic dental procedures and their benefits:
Teeth can become discolored or stained usually because of medications, food or beverages like tea and coffee, and smoking. A cosmetic dentist will bleach the teeth using a chemical process. The dentist can either provide you with a specific procedure you can choose to do at home or they can do it in their clinic.
Whitening your teeth at home will involve using a custom mouthpiece tray made by your dentist. It works by giving you the appropriate amount of whitening solution for your teeth. Although this option is more convenient, it usually takes a longer time for the results to be observed. There are also natural remedies to whiten your teeth at home.
- Benefit: Whiter teeth can make you more confident in showing your smile. You don’t have to hide your teeth anymore because stains and discoloration are no longer present. Also, a beautiful smile makes a person feel more confident about themselves, which can affect the way they handle themselves around others.
Veneers are usually made from plastic or porcelain, which cover the front part of the teeth. It functions by changing the color or shape of the teeth. Veneers are found to be more durable than bonding and are also better looking. Before placing the veneers in their proper location, the dentist makes an impression of the tooth, buffs it, and cements it in place.
- Benefits: Veneers help in many ways to address dental cosmetic concerns such as the following:
- Permanently stained teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Poorly shaped teeth
- Worn or cracked teeth
- Spaces between teeth
Bonding is a procedure that helps address extra spaces between teeth, or if they are cracked, broken, or chipped. This procedure requires a dentist to use bonding materials in filling small cavities. The dentist can also use the same procedure to protect an exposed root of the tooth. Bonding is done in just one visit using an etching solution and tooth-colored materials for the tooth in question.
- Benefit: This procedure can improve a person’s overall appearance, which can make them feel better about themselves. Dental issues are said to be a cause of concern among teenagers, who have experienced bullying due to their appearance. By correcting these dental problems, concerned people enjoy a more positive outlook in life.
This cosmetic dental solution is created using ceramics, metal, resin or a combination of metal and porcelain. Dentists usually suggest getting a crown when other procedures are not possible. The dentist will prepare your tooth for the procedure, create a digital impression of the tooth, give you a temporary crown, and then put the permanent crown on your next visit.
- Benefit: Caps or crowns are made to completely cover the tooth, such that it provides a normal appearance. The crown may be made for several reasons including the following:
- Covering stained teeth
- Restoring worn, cracked, or broken teeth
- Protecting a weak tooth
- Covering a dental implant
- Holding a dental bridge in position
- Covering a tooth that has undergone root canal surgery
Many people today are enjoying the benefits of braces. A patient wears braces, which applies pressure on the teeth to help reposition it. The results are observed from a few months up to a few years depending on the case.
- Benefit: Braces help improve the appearance of crowded or crooked teeth. Along with this cosmetic benefit, braces can also help resolve problems of irregular bites, correct jaw joint disorders, and improve jaw positioning. It is expected that after aligning your teeth, you’ll experience a better bite. You can easily bite down into anything and enjoy your food more.
Enamel Contouring and Shaping
This procedure generally aims to improve the shape and appearance of the teeth and can be combined with the bonding procedure. Not everyone is qualified to undergo this procedure. However, if you have healthy teeth with sufficient bone between them, you can be a candidate for enamel contouring and shaping.
- Benefit: This procedure is done to change the position, length or shape of the tooth, so it can help:
- Address irregular or broken teeth
- Correct overlapping or crooked teeth
- Resolve minor bite problems
Also known as a fixed partial denture, bridges are done to replace missing teeth with artificial ones. They can be constructed from different materials such as porcelain, gold, alloys, or a combination of these. A dentist prepares the teeth for crowns and places a bridge onto the surrounding teeth. A false tooth is placed on the crown and the bridge is fixed into place using cement on the prepared teeth.
- Benefit: Because this procedure aims to replace missing teeth, its benefit includes the ability to eat anything without fear. Of course, proper oral hygiene is still important.
These are a lasting solution for replacing a missing tooth or teeth. Implants are surgically placed into a patient’s jawbone. For a missing tooth, you will need one implant, but to replace several teeth, you will likely need two or more implants for better stability. If you’ve suffered bone loss from lost teeth or periodontal disease, the dental surgeon will first need to graft the bone where the implant will be attached to.
- Benefit: Although this procedure is costly, proper oral hygiene will take care of the implants for them to last a lifetime. In the end, this procedure can save you money from getting multiple procedures that are not as durable.
The goal of cosmetic dentistry is to improve the appearance of a patient’s teeth. There is always a procedure that will help every patient’s problem, including cracked, broken, stained, or missing teeth. Crowded and misaligned teeth can also be addressed using several procedures. Whatever dental problem you have, it’s crucial to talk to a reputable cosmetic dentist for the best solution. Proper oral hygiene can also help maintain that pretty smile of yours.