In these modern times more brides are considering a maternity wedding dress which will compliment their pregnant figure while getting married. As a result, more designers are including maternity wedding dresses in their design lines. Just because you are expecting doesn’t mean that you can’t look just as beautiful as other brides who aren’t expecting on your special day.
Even though there are many styles to take your pick from, there are a few considerations to keep in mind when you are expecting and are looking for the perfect wedding dress.
***Disclosure -The links in this post may contain affiliate links and Kaboutjie may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.***
Do’s and Don’ts
- Avoid choosing a dress with a tight-fitting bodice as they tend to be uncomfortable. Instead, consider dresses with flowing or stretchy styles.
- An excellent choice to consider are empire waist dresses as they highlight the area under your bust and are hanging loose and flowy over the rest of your figure.
- Another great option is A-line styles since they drape nicely over your frame and has a pretty shape.
- Some fabric choices work better than others and the last thing you want is a dress that clings to your body in all the wrong places. Chiffon and organza are excellent choices as they flow softly over the lower half of your body.
- Steer clear from silk as it tends to hug all the curves that you are trying to conceal.
- The general idea is to pull everyone’s eyes upwards whether you’re considering sequins, flowers, an interesting top section or a low neckline, focus on the section above the bust line.
- Avoid embellishments that are below the bust line as you want to draw the attention upwards, towards your face.
For Brides That Want To Hide Their Baby Bumps
The best option would be an empire waist gown as this style is usually fitted around the bust area and flowy from the bust line towards the feet. This style is classically made from lighter fabrics such as organza, chiffon or georgette. The Empire-waist style dress is an excellent choice for making the bride feel comfortable and not restricted. A V-shaped neckline can give your neck an elongated and more slim-like appearance.
Read Also – What To Do On Maternity Leave – 12 Things To Tick Off Your To Do List
For Brides That Want To Show Off Their Baby Bumps
If this is your preferred choice, then it is essential to find a seamstress who can do alterations and are experienced. A fitted dress is perfect for accentuating curves. Many women love a mermaid or trumpet style dress which is generally fitted on the top and starts flowing outwards from the thigh or lower calf. But when you are opting for this style, it is of the essence that you schedule a fitting during the last week before the big day to ensure you have a perfect fit. This is recommended especially for pregnant brides who has fluctuating weight.
Other crucial tips to remember:
- Always keep track of how far along you’ll be on your wedding day and plan consequently.
- Keep in mind that as your pregnancy is progressing, you may feel more comfortable with a supporting bra with straps, making a sleeveless dress not the ideal choice.
- Your last fitting is of utmost significance. It is essential to have this done a few days before the ceremony to be one hundred percent sure of an accurate fit.
- Its always best to think about buying a dress that is a litter larger. This way, the dress can be altered and taken out if you require extra room.
- Make sure you choose the right shoes. Swollen feet are a common occurrence during pregnancy, and you don’t want shoes which is uncomfortable and putting a damper on your big day.
- Just VH off the shoulder romantic lace maxi gown
- Made from 90% lace, 5% Spandex and 5% Polyester.
- Ruffled sleeves, high elastic waist, stretchy lace overlay with a train.
- Hand wash gently in cold water or machine wash in laundry bag.
- Lay flat to dry or low iron.
- Beachcoco women’s maxi maternity dress
- Elegant and stylish floor-length long and elegant maternity maxi-dress.
- Manufactured in the USA.
- Hello Miz lace maternity dress (nursing friendly)
- Manufactured in the USA.
- This dress is perfect for parties, weddings, baby showers and special occasions.
- V-neck, elbow sleeve, mini length lace maternity dress for an elegant and classy look.
- Made from superior soft and stretchy light-weight lace for a perfect and comfortable fit.
- This dress is multi-functional and can be worn after pregnancy or women who are not expecting (just pick one or two sizes smaller than usual).
- For a more comfortable fit, go for one size larger.
- Garment must be hand washed with cold water or dry cleaned.
- Avoid bleach or ironing.
- Hang dry
- Hemlock long maternity off-shoulder silver dress with sequins
- V-neck long maternity dress.
- Stunning chiffon dress with sparkly sequined bodice.
- Colour: silver
- White floral lace chiffon Boho style women’s long sleeve maternity maxi dress
- This graceful Boho-style floor length chiffon maternity gown has a soft, flowy and dreamlike appearance. It is adorned with floral lace for a wonderful feminine finish.
- The top is sheer and see through therefore must be worn with nude colour underwear.
- The dress is made with sheer embroidered lace bodice, which is slightly stretchy and a chiffon skirt, high scooped neckline and equipped with elastic underneath the bust to accentuate the cures of your pregnant bump and bust area. The sleeves are long with scallop edging.
Most women dream about their wedding days since they are just little girls and you want to look glowing and beautiful on your special day. There are so many different styles of wedding dresses available on the market today that you can choose from and since maternity wedding dresses have become a rising trend in recent years, there is no reason why you couldn’t find the perfect dress that fits you like a dream and make you feel like a princess on one of the most memorable occasions of your life while being pregnant.
These dresses are lovely. And yes, I agree that just because one is pregnant that does not mean they cannot be beautiful brides. I like the tip about focusing on above the waistline. Chiffon is a lovely soft material for an ethereal looking wedding dress.
I got married in a nine-yard sari, the traditional drape, just for fun. And I remember I was running around until the last minute helping my nieces and aunts and cousins drape their own saris. So used to doing that they forgot I was the bride. What fun!
Wedding gowns! This is a nice post Lynne. There are many pregnant mommies that don’t know what to wear for their wedding now that their pregnant. This will give them guidance.
I loved these tips, thank you Kaboutjie!
Oh my! All of these beautiful glowing brides in wedding dresses! I really love all of the pictures. There’s just something about a soon to be mom in a wedding gown. I’m a sucker for pregnant women, I know I’m weird LOL. I think they’re all so beautiful 🙂 I really loved how you described a lot of the choices based on what they wanted to show or not show.
I love this! As times are changing it’s no longer taboo to be pregnant when you get married and I love that there are options for pregnant brides to look amazing on their big day.
I was 6 months pregnant when I got married Nicole and it was amazing!
I am one of those with little to no knowledge of maternity dresses even though I have three kids. This is great information for people like me. These are lovely dresses and yes, even pregnant women can still look sexy.
Yes pregnant women can look especially sexy!