Have a look at this quick and easy vegan macaroni cheese recipe that you’ll be able to make in half an hour tops with just a few basic ingredients.
Quick and easy Vegan macaroni cheese recipe
- 2 Yellow potatoes
- 1 Carrot
- 1 White onion wedge
- ½ Cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- Your choice of vegan pasta
- Start by peeling the potatoes and chopping them into 1-inch pieces.
- Boil for 2 minutes.
- Start peeling the carrot, chopping it into pieces and adding it to the already boiling potatoes. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Break the onion wedge up and add it to the boil for a further 7 minutes or until the potatoes and carrot are cooked soft and remove from the heat.
- Scoop the boiled ingredients out of the pot but save the water.
- In a separate pot start cooking the pasta until ready.
- Blend the cashew nuts with 1 ½ cups of the saved boiled water, the cooked vegetables and the garlic and onion powder until you’ve created a smooth cheese-like sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked and drained pasta.
- Optional: Add a dash of paprika and a drizzle of truffle oil over the pasta when served
Interesting facts about Vegetarians and Vegans
You probably know a few vegetarians, or you may be one yourself, but being a Vegetarian means different things to different people.
- Vegetarian – a true vegetarian avoids eating any meat whatsoever, including fish and poultry.
- Lacto-avo vegetarian – includes dairy products and eggs in their diet, but excludes fish, poultry and meat.
- Lacto vegetarian – eats no eggs but uses dairy products.
- An avo vegetarian – includes eggs in their diet but no dairy products.
A lot of people won’t eat pork or red meat but do include poultry and/or seafood in their diets.
Veganism on the other hand (pronounced Vee-gun) include individuals who follow a way of living that doesn’t include any use of animal products, animal-derived foods or any by-products in their diets and only stick to plant-based foods. An addition to not consuming these foods they also avoid using any products made from animal origin such as leather, wool or fur.
Therefore, it is vital to include the right ingredients in your recipe when you are preparing a meal for a Vegan.
Other unforeseeable products associated with Veganism
Many people know the easily recognizable animal products and food items, but there are a few things that you may not know comes from animals and might unknowingly use products that contain these ingredients.
- Silk which is made by silkworms.
- Honey or beeswax made by bees.
- Lanolin which is made from wool.
- Shellac which is the resinous secretion of a tiny lac insect.
- Rennet which is an enzyme which is found in the stomach of young goats, lambs and calves which is used in the process of cheese-making.
- Gelatin which is made from meat by-products.
- Cochineal a red dye that is derived from the cochineal insect.