Whether you wake up ravenous or nauseous, it is important for you to eat a healthy breakfast when you are pregnant. Pregnancy is a new phase for every woman, but it comes with a lot of responsibilities as well. It is important for you to have a good diet because what you eat is going to affect the health of your unborn baby.
Breakfast is an important meal and you must have something healthy and nutritious in order to move ahead with this pregnancy period in the best way. Today, we are going to discuss three breakfast recipes, which are delicious, healthy and give sufficient power to carry out day-to-day tasks in the best manner.
Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
These flapjacks transform into a super stack when protein-rich pecans and heart-healthy flax seeds are added to it.
- 1 1/3 cups of soymilk, plain and unsweetened.
- 1 tbsp and 1 Tsp of fresh lemon juice.
- 2/3 cup cornmeal.
- ½ Tsp
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed.
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar.
- ¼ cup hot water, boiled around 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 1 cup pecans, which are toasted and chopped coarsely.
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour.
- 2 cups blueberries and 2 extra cups for a final touch.
- Take a large bowl and add soymilk and lemon juice. Whisk both these ingredients together. Wait for the mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes so that it gets thicken just like buttermilk.
- Now, take a small bowl, add ground flaxseed and hot water in it and stir for a couple of minutes. Let the mixture to sit and become thicken.
- In the bowl containing flaxseed mixture, you need to add canola oil along with buttermilk. Whisk entire mixture together now.
- Take another medium mixing bowl and whisk together flour, granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder. You have to stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until they mix well together. Then, add in some blueberries into the mixture. If the batter is thick to pour, then add some more soymilk to make it thinner.
- Take a red copper pan over medium heat and when the pan gets hot enough, you need to brush it with a thin layer of oil. Then, add ¼ cup of batter into the pan and spread it to form a 4-inch pancake. You need to cook the batter until it begins to bubble. The bottoms will also turn golden brown. After cooking one side, flip the pancake and cook another side. Repeat the process with the entire batter.
- Sprinkle pecans on the top of pancakes along with blueberries. Dust the pancakes with confectioner’s sugar.
You must have had pancakes a countless number of times, but the pancakes we have discussed are completely different from those. These are super delicious, healthy and don’t cause any harm to the fetus as well.
If you are not satisfied with a single breakfast recipe, then don’t worry as we have got two more coming for you.
Cranberry-Orange Buttermilk Scones
If you often wake up starving and want to have something delicious, but in a quick time, then try cranberry-orange buttermilk scones. Cranberries are effective in fixing UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), which is quite a common problem during pregnancy. Oranges as well know are rich in vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, Calcium, and magnesium. So, having this recipe is going to give you a blast of power to pursue all the regular tasks in an efficient manner.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 2 tsp baking powder.
- ¾ cup dried cranberries.
- 1 tsp baking soda.
- ¼ cup canola oil.
- ¼ cup sugar plus 2 tsp extra.
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, plus 2 tbsp. additional.
- ¼ Tsp
- 1 large egg.
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a large bowl and add, 2 cups of all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ¼ cup sugar, and cranberries.
- Take a medium bowl now and whisk 2/3 cup buttermilk, orange zest, egg, and oil. Then, add this mixture into that large bowl and mix well.
- Pour this mixture onto a floured surface and knead it 5-6 times. Make a 9-inch round ball and cut out 6 scones with a 2-inch wide glass. Combine the scraps and repeat the process.
- Take a baking sheet and place those scones on the sheet. Sprinkle the remaining sugar and buttermilk.
- Place the scones in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until they get golden brown. Don’t take the scones out, but let them cool on the wire rack.
Vegan Bran Muffins
If you haven’t opted for a maternal leave, and continuing with your job, then that’s a brave decision. If you are looking for a quick and easy recipe that can fulfill your health related needs, then you must try ‘vegan bran muffins’. These will give you a hefty dose of fiber.
- 1 cup soymilk, plain and unsweetened.
- 2 cups wheat bran.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- ¼ cup canola oil.
- 1/2 rolled oats.
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- 1 tsp baking soda.
- ¼ cup hot water, which is boiled at 180 degrees.
- ½ Tsp sea salt.
- 1 ¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour.
- ¾ cup light brown sugar.
- 1 cup fresh blackberries.
- ½ Tsp ground cinnamon.
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce.
- The process starts with positioning the rack in the lower third section of your microwave oven. Preheat the oven now to 350 degrees and lightly oil a dozen of muffin cups, or you can use paper liners as well.
- Take a large mixing bowl, and add soy milk and lemon juice in it. Whisk both ingredients for a couple of minutes and set the mixture for 5-10 minutes. It will become thick like ‘buttermilk’. Whisk the mixture again and stir in the oats and bran.
- Take a medium mixing bowl in which, you will have to add flaxseed with hot water. Set the mixture for 5-10 minutes until it thickens. In this mixture, you need to add applesauce, brown sugar and oil. Mix all the ingredients together until you see a nice and smooth batter.
- You will have to take another mixing bowl in which you will whisk together, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Put this mixture into that flaxseed batter and stir all the ingredients. Make sure that they don’t get overmixed. Now, fold in the blackberries.
- Now, you will be needing those 12 muffin cups. Fill each cup with 1/3 of batter. Add blackberries on the top of each muffin cup.
- Bake muffin cups for 35-40 minutes. In order to check whether the muffins are properly baked, you need to insert a toothpick into each muffin. If it comes out clean, then the muffins are fully baked.
- Allow muffins to cool in the oven for 10 minutes. Then, take them out and enjoy it alone or with your family. This muffin recipe is not just about fat and sugar, but it is a mouth-watering doughy delight that is good for health.
About The Author
Monica Henin, the author of this post is a prolific blogger and a food expert. She has covered a wide range of topics regarding healthy recipes and food tips. Check out her work on www.addonkitchen.com, which is a one-stop source for kitchen gadgets, recipes and other food tips.