Mushrooms are super healthy and this mushroom and chicken meatballs recipe is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
- 10ml olive oil
- 350g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 1 handful chives, finely chopped
- 125ml dried bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2ml salt
- 2ml pepper
- 4-6 baby marrows
- Micro herbs to serve
- ½ punnet baby button mushrooms, halved and sautéed to serve
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the mushrooms until golden, set aside
- Use a large chef’s knife and finely chop the chicken until it resembles a very rough mince consistency.
- Transfer the mushrooms into a bowl and add the chicken, chives, bread crumbs, egg, red onion, and season with salt and pepper. Mix together well and form the meat balls to your preferred size, place the meatballs onto a baking tray and brush with a little olive oil, bake in a preheated oven of 180°C for 10 – 12 minutes, depending on size.
- Make the marrow pasta by finely slicing with marrows length ways either using a sharp knife or mandolin slicer, then slice them again to form long thin strips of marrow, try to avoid the centre where the seeds are. Place the marrow into a pot of simmering salted water and allow to simmer for just over a minute or until the marrow is tender, immediately pour off the hot water and run cool water over the marrow. Just before serving, pour off the cool water and heat it up in the pot.
- To serve place the heated marrow onto the serving plates, top with the meatballs and serve with micro leaves and the halved baby mushrooms.
Cooks tip: if baking the meatballs is not suited to you, you can also shallow fry them.
Recipe and image supplied by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association