Lamb kofta is a fantastic family meal – add in some mushrooms to make it a more nutritious option for the whole family.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 250g lean lamb mince
- 250g button mushrooms, finely chopped and pan fried
- 125ml dried bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 5ml ground coriander (optional)
- 2ml ginger (optional)
- 2ml ground cumin (optional)
- 10ml lime zest
Salad for the adults:
- ½ punnet snow peas
- 2 beetroot, cut into Jullien strips
- 4 sprigs mint
- 2 handfuls of salad greens
- 1 punnet baby button mushrooms, sliced in half and pan fried
- 20ml sesame seeds
- In a bowl mix the mince, mushrooms and bread crumbs. Add the egg, onion, coriander, ginger, cumin and zest. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Form the kofta around a stick and grill or place onto a griddle pan until cooked through.
- Toss the peas, beetroot, mint and salad greens together. Add the mushrooms and the sesame seeds.
- Serve the kofta with the salad.
Cooks tip: make a dressing by, mixing 50ml cranberry juice, 20ml vinegar, 15ml olive oil and 10ml lemon juice. Drizzle it over the kofta and salad.
Recipe and image supplied by The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association