These dark chocolate button cookies were so much fun to make and the whole family really enjoyed them. Since it is holidays these cookies did not last long at all. I made them with Nova Choc-Oh-Late dark chocolate baking buttons, which are sugar free. While the cookies have sugar in them I was happy to reduce the amount of sugar that this recipe would have had if I had used chocolate baking buttons that had sugar in them too!
Dark Chocolate Button Cookies
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 whisked egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 ½ cups of flour
- 30 Nova Choc-Oh-Late dark chocolate baking buttons
- Cream the butter and brown sugar with a wooden spoon until creamy and pale
- Add the egg and beat well
- Add the flour and water to the mixture and stir until combined
- Roll the dough into small 30 small balls and place on a tray in the fridge to chill for half an hour
- Divide the dough balls onto 3 baking trays lined with baking paper, make sure they are spaced well
- Bake at 180°C for 18 minutes
- Press a baking button into the centre of each cookie while it is still hot then leave to cool before eating
These cookies were so much fun to make. There was something so satisfying about pushing the baking buttons into the hot cookies and watching them melt. One thing I noticed is that the baking buttons stayed liquid inside the cookie the entire day and only by the following day they hardened. If you want to enjoy liquid chocolate in the cookie eat them straight away but if you want the chocolate to be hard make sure to make them the day before you plan to eat them.