This is the best lemon meringue pie recipe that my mom has used all through my childhood. I remember so many times sitting with my mom while she made this. The only tweak I have done with it is to add an extra egg white to the meringue because I just love the meringue part to be huge!
Ingredients for lemon meringue pie:
- 1/2 Packet Marie Biscuits
- 1/2 Packet Tennis Biscuits
- 100 g Butter
- 385 ml Condensed Milk
- 4 Eggs (3 Egg Yolks, 4 Egg Whites)
- 2 Lemons
- 5 Tablespoons Sugar
Preparation time: 20 mins and 10-15 mins cooking time.
- Lots of recipes say to use shop bought lemon juice, but every time I have tried that the tart does not set well and you don’t get the zest if you use lemon juice.
- Most recipes say to use 3 egg whites, but I like to add an extra one to make the meringue extra big.
- Crush the marie biscuits and tennis biscuits by putting in plastic bag and rolling with rolling pin.
- I don’t have a rolling pin, so I used a cup which worked well.
- Melt the butter and mix well into biscuits.
- Put this mix into a 228mm foil tart dish and spread evenly and compact with spoon. Add the 3 egg yolks to the condensed milk and squeeze the juice from the 2 lemons into the mixture.
- Grate the lemon zest (skin) from both lemons and add into mixture.
- Mix well and pour over biscuit base.
- Beat the 4 egg whites with an electric beater, slowly adding the sugar until it is quite stiff.
- Don’t beat too long or you will get butter!
- Spoon the egg white evenly on top. Cook at 160 for 10-15 minutes, until the meringue is a golden colour.Put the lemon meringue in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving so it can set properly.