This bacon, pea and cheese salad is my all time favourite salad – it makes for a fantastic braai salad, or a light meal all on its own. The best part about it is that it keeps so well, and in my personal opinion, it tastes better after being in the fridge for a day than it does when you have first made it.
This salad was originally made with Miracle Whip which appears to be off the market. I then made it with Excella Wonderwhirl Salad Cream which I don’t find, so now I make it with Hellmans Mayonnaise. Please take note that this recipe does not work well with just any mayonnaise. You are welcome to play around of course, but I have done just that and found that it does not come together the same way!
I have also not included amounts for the ingredients in this salad – it depends on the size of your dish and the amount of people that you are making for. Use enough ingredients to make a layer of each in the dish.
Ingredients for Bacon Pea and Cheese salad:
- Green Pepper
- Hellmans Mayonnaise
20 mins with active toddler hanging on leg!
- Use a shallow dish for this salad.
- Chop up the lettuce and layer the dish, chop up the cucumber and layer, chop up the celery and layer, chop up the green peppers and layer.
- Defrost the peas by adding boiling water from kettle but do not cook the peas, layer on top.
- Spread the mayonnaise quite thickly over the peas.
- Fry the bacon, chop into little pieces and layer on top.
- Grate the cheese and layer on top.
- Cover and refridgerate before serving.