A denture is a great invention in the world of dentistry, as it has brought solutions to problems associated with missing teeth. With a denture, you can replace missing teeth enabling you to eat, talk and smile properly with no pain. Just like every medical treatment, using dentures comes with pros and cons. As such, it is important to examine these pros and cons before making a decision to get dentures. We have highlighted all that you need to know about dentures below.
Types Of Dentures
Before we go into the pros and cons, it is necessary to discuss the types of dentures available in order to have a detailed knowledge of the topic. There are two main types of dentures which are fixed dentures and removable dentures.
Fixed dentures refer to dentures of a permanent nature that are held in place using dental implants. These implants are installed into the jawbone using a minor surgical procedure. Once the implants heal, they fuse with your jawbone creating a strong base for dentures. Fixed dentures are typically more stable, as you do not have to remove them every night. It also requires a short adjustment period.
Removable dentures are usually held in place using suction or dental adhesive, as opposed to implants for fixed dentures. Removable dentures can be removed at any time of the day, be it during sleeping hours or when you want to brush your teeth. Removable dentures are cheaper than fixed dentures. However, you will need to refit and replace removable dentures regularly, due to the change in mouth structure.
Pros Of Dentures
Dentures have many benefits that improve the oral health of patients. Below are some of the pros of dentures.
- Support For Weakened Jaw: With age, the muscles in your jaw and mouth typically get weakened. This can affect the structure of your mouth, making it difficult to eat and talk. With dentures, you are sure of getting additional support to your jaw.
- Feels Like Natural Teeth: After the period of adjustment, dentures start to feel and look like natural teeth. This means that you do not have to deal with discomfort or embarrassment. Most times, people cannot tell when you have dentures on.
- Quick and Affordable: Getting dentures is a quick and affordable process that will not take much of your time or money.
- Dentures also improve your smile giving you confidence in your daily activities. In addition, it makes you look younger and healthier.
Cons Of Dentures
Some of the cons of using dentures are discussed below.
- Adjustment Period: While the adjustment period associated with using dentures is short, it is still an adjustment period nonetheless.
- Decreased Ability to Taste Food: Using dentures might result in a decreased ability to taste food. This can occur if the denture covers your upper palate, or has residual deposits.
- Infection: Dentures may cause infection if they are not fitted properly.
The cons of dentures can be avoided if you follow the right procedures, as regards usage and maintenance. It is also important that you get your dentures from a licensed dentist Marrickville for the best results.