April is National Cannabis Awareness Month and the perfect time to shed light on the healing potential of CBD. 1
Cannabis has always had a reputation of being a miracle herb in traditional healing methods and has been used and cultivated by mankind for at least 6000 years.2
CBD, which stands for cannabidiol, is a chemical compound from the Cannabis Sativa plant. While CBD is an essential component of medical marijuana, it is derived directly from the hemp plant – a cousin of the marijuana plant.³
Contrary to what some may believe, CBD is entirely free of THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, which means you can enjoy all the natural health benefits of cannabis without the disadvantage of any psychoactive effects.4
With the popularity of CBD health products blooming, it’s natural to wonder what CBD is, and more importantly, what benefits this gift from nature possesses.
Anyone interested in understanding the role and significance of CBD must first understand the Human Endocannabinoid System’s functioning (ECS).
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) can be thought of as the body’s air traffic control centre. It controls physiological processes, including appetite and pain sensation. The ECS consists of two primary cannabinoid receptors: CB1 receptors (most concentrated in the central nervous system and brain) and CB2 receptors (abundant in the immunological tissues and modulate cell fate).5
The natural cannabinoids and phytonutrients found in CBD communicate with these signal receptors of the ECS to provide an effective way to reduce pain, inflammation, depression, stress, anxiety, sleep disorders, and much more.6
Introducing ADCO CBD
This ground-breaking research into the different forms of CBD led pharmaceutical company Adcock Ingram to launch the ADCO CBD range of products. The range comprises ADCO CBD STRESS7, available in drops, and capsule format. ADCO CBD DAILY8, available in drops, edible pastille9, and capsule format. The ADCO CBD PAIN10 products are produced in drops, capsules, and gel format11.
The ADCO CBD edible pastilles come in pre-dosed bites, various colours, and an assortment of delectable lemon-lime, mango, raspberry, and strawberry flavours.9
Trusted, reliable, reputable ADCO CBD products are available from selected Clicks and Dis-Chem stores, as well as selected independent pharmacies and online stores. For more information visit : www.adcocbd.co.za and join the conversation on Instagram and Facebook
- National Day Calendar – https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-cannabis-awareness-month-april/
- Atakan Z. Cannabis, a complex plant: different compounds and different effects on individuals. Ther Adv Psychopharmacol. 2012;2(6):241-254. doi:10.1177/2045125312457586ADCO CBD Pain Gel. Professional information leaflet. 30 January 2020.
- Morales P, Hurst DP, Reggio PH. Molecular targets of the phytocannabinoids – a complex picture. Prog Chem Org Nat Prod 2017;103:103–131.
- ProCon.org. (2020, January 10). What Is Cannabidiol (CBD)? Retrieved from https://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/questions/what-is-cannabidiol-cbd/
- Nahtigal I, Blake A, Hand A, et al. The pharmacological properties of cannabis. J Pain Manage 2016;9(4):481-491.Corroon J, Phillips JA. A cross-sectional study of cannabidiol users. Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research 2018;3.1:152-161.
- ADCO CBD Stress. Professional information leaflet. 25 November 2019.
- ADCO CBD Daily. Professional information leaflet. 9 December 2019.
- ADCO CBD Daily 10 (Chewable Pastille). Professional Information leaflet. 13 May 2020.
- ADCO CBD Pain. Professional information leaflet. 25 November 2019.
- ADCO CBD Pain Gel. Professional information leaflet. 30 January 2020.