In the modern world, IVF is one of the most successful ways of infertility treatment. Earlier, this procedure was used only in extreme cases, but now doctors recommend it after 2 years of unsuccessful attempts of infertility treatment. According to statistics, more than 90% of patients were able to become parents after one or more IVF procedures.
If you have decided to try it, then it is advisable to learn about the IVF process day by day. These are the steps you are expected to follow:
- A thorough examination of a man and woman, identifying the main reproductive problems. Even if there is a diagnosis established, the additional evaluation is necessary.
- Treatment of infections, if any. Normalization of the hormonal background in a woman. A man takes medications to improve spermatogenesis.
- Prescription of drugs stimulating multiple ovulations in the woman. Depending on the protocol chosen by an IVF specialist, the stimulation lasts from 10 to 30 days. Throughout this period, the woman regularly undergoes ultrasounds examination in order to see how quickly follicles grow.
- Injection of HCG when follicles are of the right size. The injection is needed for the final stage of the eggs growth.
- Oocyte puncture. It is performed the day after the HCG injection. On the same day, the husband gives his sperm. The use of donor sperm is also possible.
- Embryos remain under supervision from two to five days until optimal conditions are achieved. After that, the best ones are selected.
- One-two best embryos are placed in the uterus. The remaining embryos, if there are healthy among them, are frozen and stored by the clinic. The embryo freezing occurs exclusively at the request of the woman.
- Hormone therapy for two weeks to maintain a safe pregnancy.
- Pregnancy test in two weeks after the placing of embryos inside the uterus.
- In the case of a positive test, the woman needs to proceed with an ultrasound examination three weeks later. This is necessary to exclude ectopic pregnancy.
- Childbirth in a hospital. This is the final stage, the result of which are happy parents.
Above is a standard scheme of the IVF process day by day, but there can be some specific cases. For example, if a man does not have quality sperm, then it can be artificially strengthened. In extreme cases, ICSI is used – a sperm cell is injected into the egg through a microscopic needle since male gamete is not able to overcome the protection of the oocyte. At the will of spouses, a genetic study of embryos can be carried out.
The whole process takes about one and a half months. Prior to and during this period, the spouses need to give up bad habits, get enough sleep and lead a healthy, active lifestyle. You can learn more about IVF on https://ivf-international.com/.