Your child’s birth should be one of the best things for you to celebrate, but in cases of complications, you or your child can suffer injuries. A wide range of birth injuries especially the severe ones can result in disability, medical expenses, special care, or pain.
Some of these cases occur due to the healthcare provider’s negligence which means that you can sue them for the injuries. Ensure you contact a birth injury attorney in case you have questions or concerns about birth injuries.
Common Injuries during Childbirth
While most birth injuries affect newborns, mothers could also suffer when a healthcare provider takes improper action during delivery. Some of the common injuries that can occur to the mother include
- Leaving equipment inside the mother after cesarean section.
- Uterine rupture
- Failure to control bleeding
- Undetected or untreated pre-eclampsia that leads to seizures during delivery
- Damaging the internal organs from the equipment or practice.
Besides, there are common injuries that could harm the child and lead to a medical malpractice claim. They include:
- Bone fractures- New bones have fragile bone formation, and any misuse of force or equipment would lead to fractures. Notably, this type of injury is common in childbirth and mostly involves the upper arm bone and the collar bone.
In some cases, the fractures occur during childbirth and can heal by themselves, while a genetic condition facilitates others.
- Neonatal Brachial Plexus Palsy- The brachial plexus are the nerves surrounding a baby’s shoulder and could be damaged, especially when the child’s arms are stretched. The damage could lead to loss of movement or weakness in one or both arms.
- Caput Succedaneum- The injury is characterized by the swelling of the infant’s scalp, mostly caused by extreme pressure on the baby’s head during a prolonged or difficult head-first delivery. The injury could also occur when the child undergoes the vacuum extraction procedure.
- Death-Delivery injuries resulting in death are the most legally complex and emotional charges of all medical malpractice cases. Such events could also lead to filing for a wrongful death lawsuit hence the need for a birth injury attorney to guide and support you.
Can I Find A Birth Injury Attorney?
Seeking legal advice is one of the most important things to bring healthcare workers to book and protect your child’s future. The needless suffering subjected to a child due to medical error should be compensated to cater to emotional distress, pain and suffering, and medical costs.
An experienced attorney can help you:
- Prove that the accident would not have happened were it not for the healthcare provider’s negligence.
- Provide emotional and legal support as you seek to find justice for your dear child.
- Take you through the entire process and press for substantial compensation that will help deal with the afterlife and hold the healthcare providers accountable
Birth injuries should be avoided at all costs as they could affect the newborns’ entire life. Besides, if an injury occurs during childbirth, you should consult an attorney for advice on the best way forward.