Piles or hemorrhoids is a very common health problem among people, especially those in India. In fact, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences reported in their latest study that an estimated 40,723,288 in India are currently suffering from piles, hemorrhoids. Not just that, every year, at least a million new people become a victim, making it one of India’s most common, though not deadly, health problems.
Piles have become a common problem in India because of dietary & lifestyle factors. Indians depend too much on low-fiber food and lead a sedentary lifestyle – tending to spend much time seated. Besides, there are certain health conditions Indians are most vulnerable to such as constipation, fiber deficiency in the diet and diarrhea, which increase the risk factor for piles. Piles usually occur or develop around the anus, causing swelling of the veins within or outside the anus. In most cases, hemorrhoids are painless and would heal on its own within a few days. But, if it continues it can cause severe pain and irritation, making it difficult to even sit down.
What are piles?
Piles, also known as hemorrhoids, are a collection of inflamed tissues in the anal canal. It can occur due to chronic constipation, diarrhea or due to lifting heavy weights at the gym or in your daily life. In addition to that, straining while passing a stool can also cause piles.
How to cure piles?
Piles treatment varies depending on which stage the piles is. If it is soft piles which aren’t even painful, you can follow the below mentioned tips and let piles heal on its own.
- Introduce fiber into your daily diet. Lack of fiber in your body can also cause piles, as already said above. Hence, ensuring the consumption of just the right amount of fiber intake can help speed up the healing process and you would be saved from going for painful treatment. You can start with fibrous fruits and vegetables or even take fiber supplements.
- Warm baths. These warm baths can work wonders for you if you use Epsom salts while bathing. It would help ease the symptoms of hemorrhoids/ piles and ensure the problem heals on its own.
- Witch hazel.
- Coconut oil.
- Aloe vera.
- Ice packs.
- Over-the-counter medications
If these home care remedies don’t work out for you and piles gets severe and even more painful, you can look for other, permanent treatment options.
What are the options available for permanent piles treatment?
Generally, there are only two treatment options which are recommended to a patient suffering from piles. One can either go for surgery or for laser treatment. Let’s talk about both in detail to understand which one of the two would be a suitable option.
- Traditional surgery: Hemorrhoids surgery focuses on removing swollen blood vessels around the anal and the rectum region. There are several different types of surgery such as rubber band ligation, coagulation, sclerotherapy, hemorrhoidectomy, and hemorrhoid stapling. Choosing the right laser surgical treatment option from the available option shouldn’t be done on your own, let your GP or your proctologist examine your piles and pick the right one for you. However, the only drawback of surgery is the recovery time which can be several weeks to months depending on how severe the problem was.
- Laser treatment for piles: Laser treatment for piles is a non-painful alternative to surgery. In fact, being US FDA approved, it is clinically safer and has zero side-effects or negligible chances of infection or bowel incontinence. It is done without employing any surgical process and so, it is less painful and ensures zero chances of recurrence.
Benefits of piles laser treatment:-
- The treatment can be done on the same day and hence the patient doesn’t have to wait for long.
- The postoperative recovery time is very less and hence, the patient can immediately get back to his normal life without taking rest due to treatment.
- The success rate of laser treatment is very high, and so the chances of suffering from piles again are very rare.
- In addition, the cost of laser treatment, given the fact that it can be unaffordable for some, is covered by most health insurance schemes. Hence, even though laser treatment is out of your budget, you won’t have to worry about it if you have medical insurance in place.
Lastly, don’t forget to check for recommendations from your friends and family members who have already gone through this problem. They can help you with the names of some good proctologist in Hyderabad who can cure your piles’ problem permanently.