VALENTINE'S DAY . JAY OR NAY.

Home Forums Mommy Forums: The Mommy Lounge VALENTINE'S DAY . JAY OR NAY.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Elize Swanepoel 4 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

Do you know where Valentine’s day comes from?
    Since Valentine’s day is tomorrow, I thought I’ll just give you a short brief.
    During the third Century, Emperor Claudius II banned soldiers from marrying because he believed married men to be bad soldiers. St. Valentine, a priest from Rome, married these men in secret because he didn’t share the Emperor’s beliefs. As a result, he was thrown in jail and sentenced to death. While he was in jail he fell in love with the jailer’s daughter. On the day of his execution on the 14th of February, he wrote her a love letter which he signed “From your Valentine”.

I must admit my husband and I don’t really celebrate Valentine’s day. I’ve always felt like this was just another day where retailers take advantage of to coerce people into buying all kinds of souvenirs and gimmicks that I don’t really have a use for and just takes up space in my cupboards. Except maybe for chocolates or flowers. These are always welcome. But I think you can do this anytime of the year to show your loved one that you care about them. Why does it have to be on this specific day?

And to be honest, usually by the 14th of the month, my salary has come and gone and there are no funds left to spend on anything other than the normal weekly groceries.

I do like to be spoiled and to feel like I’m appreciated.
    But a sweet gesture doesn’t have to be bought. It can be a flower that was hand picked from the garden or a homemade card, even an sms telling me that I must enjoy my day and that my husband loves me or a hug and a kiss from my little boy.
    And I always think of the people that don’t have a special someone on Valentine’s day. Especially when you’re still in school and lots of other children get cards and little gifts from secret admirers.

This day to me is not a special day like Christmas or Easter that I want to celebrate. Yes, it is very romantic when you know where the day originates from.

But for me personally this day is just another day like every other day.

One of my favourite quotes are: “Use things, not people. Love people, not things.”

Please share with me your thoughts. Do you celebrate Valentine’s day and if so, what is the most memorable present that you got or sweet gesture that you’ve received from your loved one?
    And what are your plans for tomorrow?

Beautiful love quotes:

“Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite.”
    ♥ ♥ ♥
    “I love you for all that you are, all that you have been and all you’re yet to be.”
    ♥ ♥ ♥

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY TOMORROW TO ALL THE ROMANTICS OUT THERE.

Ronitha
    Participant

Awh Thank you Elize, that was such a wonderful article.
    Doubt anybody actually knows where Valentines originated from, well for me this was my first I have ever heard of it.
    Valentines before marriage used to be a nice dinner at home, and after marriage and kids we prefer to still do a dinner obviously a little less on the romance side, but we try to make it a fun evening for all of us.

Gift wise, a simple rose or chocolate is an ideal gift for me, I am certainly not fussy.
    Simplicity is best.

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

@Thanks Ronitha and for replying. I totally agree with you. A small gesture every now and again is certainly enough for me. 🙂

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

Thanks Ronitha and for replying. I totally agree with you. A small gesture every now and again is certainly enough for me. 🙂

Lana Theron
    Participant

For me it’s a yay! Thanks for sharing the awesome info.

It might be corny but I think Valentines day is fun. I love exchanging little gifts and feeling spoiled. I also adore that my hubby buys our little girl gifts. I think it’s so special that her daddy will always spoil her and make her feel extra loved on this day.

Definitely not as meaningful as Christmas but still a fun day to be celebrated.

Shanyn
    Participant

Such a romantic story. As much as I love flowers and chocolates I would appreciate more if I did not have to do the dishes. I love the more practical gestures. Hey I won’t argue with the chocolates whilst I am sitting in front of the television watching a chick flick for once. I have to be honest I have mixed feelings about this day.

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

You’re welcome @lanatheron. Thanks for giving your input.
    Your husband sounds very sweet! Maybe if I’m also spoiled, I would probably have a different opinion and look forward to Valentine’s every year. 😉

I agree with you @shanyn. I also prefer the more practical gestures.
    Like when I get home, and my husband is busy preparing dinner or giving JD a bath.
    I would love to have a day without any dishes. My grandma used to say that dishes are getting babies and she was right. It doesn’t matter how many times I clean those dishes, they seem to be multiplying the moment I turn my back. Chocolate is my number one guilty pleasure. Chocolate just makes everything right. I wish I could eat lots of chocolate every day and not gain an ounce. But now I have to restrict myself and only enjoy one chocolate a week.

Shanyn
    Participant

To day is the V day and whilst hubby is at work my boys and I are making rainbow cupcakes.I have a whole dinner planned in my head, just haven’t got a gift. On occasions like these I hope and pray that life will run smoothly and plans can be put into place. Here is hoping. Hope the day surprises you.

Ronitha
    Participant

@ Lana it is definitely not corny to be hyped up about Valentines day.

It is a fun day, mainly when comes to kids getting so worked up over it. it is just not a day I would go out lavishly spending on goodies, and nor do I expect anything today, the hubby will do the roses and chocolates, which my kid will take and make it is lol, am sure since you excited you had much more exciting experiences on this day 🙂

Hope you have a lovely one dear

Anri
    Participant

I cried this morning. My nearly three year old insisted on picking flowers for me. I am 34 weeks pregnant thus very emotional. Then when we left for school Casanova realized that he picked all our flowers for me and now his girlfriend won’t have flowers. So we had to stop and ‘permanently borrow’ some flowers from someone else’s garden. I find it fascinating that my little monster is so small yet already understands that flowers makes mommies and little girls happy.

Tersia
    Participant

I had to laugh about cupid:
    The mischievous matchmaking cherub known as Cupid has pretty much been the mascot of Valentine’s Day for centuries, but have you ever thought of precisely why he’s represented as a naked, arrow flinging infant with wings? Well, allegedly, Cupid has his wings because those in love are flighty, and he’s depicted as a young boy because love is irrational. He carries his bow and quiver of arrows because love so easily wounds the heart, and is often depicted as blindfolded because true love is — well, blind!

Pam k
    Participant

I’m a hopeless romantic at heart my hubby on the other hand NO for 15 years it hasn’t appealed to him I do go all out to make it exciting for the kids I make heart pancake and cupcakes special messages my son is the romantic guy and makes my day he bought me ice cream and a chocolate like you hubby says why does it have to be on valentines day why can’t it be any other day I say it’s not the same atmosphere when u go out that vibe is not the same I know it’s corny and retailers and restaurants benefits but with the chocolate roses there’s a sparkle in the lady’s eye

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

LOL, Anri I can just picture this scenario. Your little boy sounds like he’s going to be quite a charmer and gentleman, which is very sweet and a good thing. The kids are so clever. 🙂 I remember being so emotional with my pregnancy especially towards the end of my term.

@tersia, thanks for the interesting piece, adding onto my post. I love reading interesting stories like these. 🙂

@Pam k, I’m also a hopeless romantic and my hubby is quite the opposite. I do like seeing all the interesting souvenirs and gimmicks that you can buy and some of the retailers really go the extra mile when decorating the shop or making displays. It is cheerful and fun but we still don’t celebrate Valentine’s day as such. My hubby sent me a funny sms yesterday and I bought us all a chocolate on my way home. But I do that on other days as well. We have a real estate agent’s office that is situated on a main corner that we pass on our way home every day. I really love to see what they do every year. On Spring day, Valentine’s day and before Christmas, they always decorate their garden and outside with innovative self-made decorations. It really is a delight to go pass them. I like creativity like that. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.