To Puppy or not to Puppy

Home Forums Mommy Forums: The Mommy Lounge To Puppy or not to Puppy

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Elize Swanepoel 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Tamara
    Participant

I am an extremely indecisive person at the best of times, I will admit. I had my previous little Chihuahua for 10 years when on the 1st of January this year, she was attached and killed by a neighbour’s dog that I took in on new year’s eve because he was left alone outside and beside himself due to the fireworks. My little one (the puppy not my baby) I had dosed with rescue drops at about 9pm so she luckily slept through it all. After letting the neighbour’s dog in and him being all over the place he had managed to even wake my daughter and I finally got him to calm, down at about 2am. My little girl (5) is an animal person of note and at her dad has pets ranging from dogs to hamsters. She loves them all. The other day she asked me if my heart had healed yet for Jinxi (our dog) and politely mentioned that, she would like to have another pet as soon as my heart had. I have contacted an adoption agency for pups and have gone ahead and booked a home inspection, but now I feel like I am getting cold feet. I am feeling extremely anxious about making such a huge commitment again. Is this normal? I cannot remember how I felt when I was planning to get my Chihuahua 10 years ago.

Betsie Labuschagne
    Participant

It is normal. I can understand the heartbreak of having your dog die. I was devastated when my dog die a few years ago. I immediately began searching for a puppy but only found one 2 months later and had to wait for her to be born. I have never looked back.

Yes, it is a huge responsibility, but your daughter will be so happy. Make her part of the planning. Go buy a new bowl and doggy bed. I am sure you will fall in love when you see the right puppy again. I see my girl now with our dogs and am so happy that she has them for companions. It is amazing to watch them play together and she are having so much fun with them.

Anri
    Participant

This is something of a topic at our house as well. We had to put our female dog down last year as her quality of life had deteriorated to constant pain from old age and arthritis. We then had to make the devastating decision of putting the healthy male down (same age as the female but with non of her health issues) or keeping him.

Both dogs were rescues and inseparable. To such an extent that we had to take both to the vet even though only one required care. Both went to the doggy parlor even though only one got shaved. If they were ever separated all the neighbors would phone in a panic to say that there was something seriously wrong at our house and it sounds like our dogs are in severe distress.

After much tears and discussions with a doggy whisperer we decided that both dogs would do better together. So we put both down together. Oh boy, my eyes are swimming in tears whilst typing this.

We had these 2 beautiful souls in our house for more than 10 years. They accepted me, after marriage, and then our son without any issue. Our little monster and the male dog was especially well bonded as he required tons of grooming. And who better to groom than a toddler. He would spend hours softly brushing Adolf’s hair.

The topic does come up from time to time, like at the moment. About getting a new dog. But I have decided that we will puppy once my little guy is old enough to take responsibility. As currently the fish tank is my sole responsibility even though my son wanted the fish. Ouma off course went all out and bought all the bells and whistles.

A dog is a long term commitment. It is also a big financial commitment. If my son gets pushy on animals we visit the local SPCA for a play date. There are tons of animals in need of some love, exercise and play. They just cant come and live at our house as the moment. We are expecting a new baby. I can’t baby and toddler and puppy plus run a business.

Tamara
    Participant

Hi @anrivisser and @smurfy84 – Just an update 😛 after months of looking around and shopping around, on Monday by complete chance we came across a 6 week old little girl who desperately needed a home. I was completely taken back by this little one and desperately wanted to help. Therefore, we came home with a puppy. She is 7 weeks old and boy, I now realise why I only had one child lol. Puppy likes to be in arms all the time and howls something crazy if she is not, so getting dinner cooked and dishes done and attending to my actual human baby has been challenging to say the least. Last night I was in my garden at 1am in my pjs in the cold waiting for this puppy to do her business. I couldn’t help but laugh at the situation, but she has brought such happiness to our household and my little one is completely in love 🙂 So it has been well worth it!

Claudia
    Participant

@tamara I’m so glad you managed to get a new puppy.

I feel my pets are often treated like my children. They are naughty just like them, but can be spoilt just like them as well.

Tamara
    Participant

Thanks so much @claudiahelena89 🙂

Shanyn
    Participant

@tamara as I was reading your first post and I was thinking how when we loose a pet it feels like our heart has been ripped out. We think to ourselves that we cannot go through that pain again, but then we find that one that touches our heart and mends it just enough for us to feel that happiness again.

Glad you found your special girl and it is in those early hours, in the cold garden that we find the irony of our situations. I think give her some time to adjust to her new home and family. Even though she is cute and melting your heart, you must remember what you install in her now as a puppy will be harder to get her out of as a mature dog. Just like a child be firm and loving and let her know that no matter what she is staying and is loved, but there is also times to do certain things.

All the best with your new adventure with her.

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

@tamara737 I’m glad you guys did end up giving a forever home to a puppy in need and your daughter must have been over the moon. 🙂

I completely understand your hesitation. I have my Grietjie which is a cross between a dachshund and a miniature dobermann. In May of this year she will be thirteen human years. This doggy has been part of my life for so long, I don’t even want to think about the day when she’ll be crossing the rainbow bridge to doggy heaven.

I have lost so many people in my life but she remained by my side. She is getting older and I know she’s probably not going to live for a long time anymore.

I have been thinking about this and honestly the way I feel now, I don’t think I’ll be getting another dog after Grietjie.

Having a dog is a permanent and long-term decision. I’m not one for getting a pet and then having to be forced to take them to the shelter or SPCA if my living situation change for instance. It really would break my heart. And it takes great responsibility taking care of a pet. When you want to go on vacation you always have to worry about your pets and who will take care of them while you’re away.

I’m not sure if I’m up for starting all over again. But on the other hand, I have a 21 year old who already started showing a keen interest and love for animals and my husband love animals too. Ultimately, I don’t think the choice will be mine if this decision needs to be made in future.

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

Sorry, I have a 21 month old, not 21 years!!! LOL. 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.