The dummy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa💕 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Odette
    Fan Points: 0

Mommies

When would you suggest I start taking Mickey off his dummy. He is almost 17 months old. And any tips on how to do it, will be much appreciated.

melissa
    Participant
    Fan Points: 6

Unfortunately my sons did not take to the dummy so I wish you luck , My son however only left the breast just over a month ago and he is 3 years old . Tough love is what I had to do, It broke me to pieces but at the end we now have a better relationship because mommy is not always pinned down and used as a dummy and all my babba wants now is love and attention 🙂

Noori

Hi Odette

The earlier you decide to remove the dummy, the easier it will be. From 12 months onwards your baby will become increasingly strong-willed and averse to change.

Sometimes, out of sight is out of mind. But from experience I can tell you that the first few nights are the hardest, thereafter they usually become used to not having it.

Bernie

I’m not nearly there yet, my boy is only 3 months old… but I can already see I will be having a problem getting him off his dummy. He wants it in his mouth all the time.

Noori

Bernie – that is good and bad

Good as a pacifier for now – keeps them quiet and content but not good for later on.

But then again, same goes for teh bottle – so I too will be facing some tough times

Holly Lopez

It’s going to be so much harder on your baby now that he’s older. And, you have to understand that sometimes the only reason they want the dummy (or pacifier as we call it here 🙂 ) is for emotional comfort. Start substituting other fun toys in the dummy’s place. Give a snack, so he can’t have the dummy at that moment and then ‘misplace’ it. Go a little longer each time before you give it back, always ensuring that you give a replacement item, such as toy or snack. Eventually he will just give up and accept the replacement over the dummy.

vhutshilo
    Participant
    Fan Points: 3,651

I take it off when he was 1year it was not easy he use to cry for its a lots but after a few weeks he forgot about it

Lisa💕
    Participant
    Fan Points: 5

My boy is 8 months ill see when i can take away the dummy but for now i think its still a big use to sooth my baby boy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘The dummy’ is closed to new replies.