Mom on leave and wanting to stay there!

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Mom on leave and wanting to stay there!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wendy 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Wendy
    Participant

Hi All
    I am 34 weeks pregnant with my second child and am currently on maternity leave.
    Here’s the thing though…I don’t want to go back to work, mainly because things at work have changed and I feel unwanted there, but also because I am so looking forward to spending my time raising our daughter. I am now looking for all and any opportunity I can find to work from home to make this possible as it’s going to be a hard road ahead if I do not go back to work.

Betsie Labuschagne
    Participant

I also want to know what opportunities there are for making an extra income from home. Some of the other members mentioned Acornkids to me. Their products looks great, it is just a shame that they don’t have any distributors in Namibia and that makes it a whole lot difficult.

Wendy
    Participant

I have also just recently one some research on Acorn Kids. I want to try speak to my husband about then as he previously told me that under no circumstances am I to pay first to do?work from home. I think he feels this way because of the many scammers you get out there nowadays. Maybe if give him all the research I have done he would think otherwise about this.
    There are many company/products out there like Avon, Justine and Tupperware that we can join/sell but most of them have so many reps already that I don’t think its worth it.
    I would really like to write a book, maybe more than one…My life story has been one heck of a journey that I would really like to share an then I would like to write one about my pregnancy as its been an experience on its own.(you can read about it under the topic “Not one but many complications” in the pregnancy and birth forum) But I don’t know where to start or who to ask advice

Betsie Labuschagne
    Participant

That sounds like a good idea. I know from one of my family members that the money she gets from publishing a book is not much. I don’t know all the details about it and she is a pensioner already, but it is something she loves doing

Maybe you can talk to the book publishers like Lapa Uitgewers etc. Maybe they will help you with some information.

That is my problem. One of our family members already sell Tupperware, so that is out of the question for me. I also can’t see myself selling cosmetics. What other companies like Tupperware do you know of? I only know of Avon, Justine, Tupperware and Avroy Shlain

Wendy
    Participant

Will sure look Lapa Uitgewers up can find and then see what my options are. I don’t know many other companies except for the ones you mentioned. There is Pure Romance and then you have Cape Cookies and then the only other one I know of is Nuskin. All others I have seen are more like those pyramid schemes and you have to pay a fee to join.

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

Hi @winks.

Congrats on your pregnancy.

Working from home and earning an income that is matching your previous salary or income is not an easy task.
    It takes time to establish your venture and start earning enough renumeration to keep you afloat and to keep pursuing your business.

@lynne has done very well for herself and have written some blog posts about her journey of becoming a stay at home mom and working from home.

She has also shared posts about earning money online with doing surveys etc. It is worth checking out if you have access to the internet and a computer at home.

The problem I have with selling is that I’m not a salesperson at all. I don’t have the personality for it and can’t be “pushy” and make my target every month.

And there are so many representatives out there already doing this, which makes it very competitive.

I saw a post this week with “Woelwater activity boxes” looking for sales representatives. I’ve gotten feedback from them and unfortunately you have to pay R950 or R450 upfront in order to kick start the process. I do however like their concept and if I had the money and the time, I probably would have considered it.

I know 4 a Kid are also looking for people to sell their products. They are a wonderful company with lots of interesting products for children and babies. You can check out their Facebook page. It’s worth looking into.

Nuskin have so many representatives and the products are quite pricey. I have friends that are doing this. From the looks of it, they are battling to make enough sales. But the good thing about them, is that you don’t have to pay any money upfront.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you find something that is working for you and that you can succeed in be a stay at home mommy and be able to work from home.
    Good luck.

Lynne Huysamen
    Keymaster

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t write a book @winks – you can write it on Word and publish it through Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing. It is getting easier than ever to do this.
    I wrote a short ebook about my days in active addiction and I have sold a number of copies on a few other online marketplaces. While you will need to do some marketing to get your book sold it is certainly much easier to publish a book now than it was a few years ago!

My question is why you don’t start a blog? Then you can write about so many things and share about your life while making money in a variety of different ways? That is what I do!

If you want to get started blogging and have absolutely everything you need at your fingertips then I highly recommend you check out this platform.

@loupie mentioned that 4AKid is looking for sales people, well I make money from 4AKid –
    by promoting their products on my website and when anyone clicks from my website and buys something from them I make commission. I do this with Amazon and a number of other online stores too. It is called affiliate marketing.

If you have any questions just shout.

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

You see, there are a bunch of things you can do and get paid to do so just by sharing your own stories and experiences.

Blogging is really huge now. It has lots of benefits and incentives if you can do it full time.

Thanks Lynne, for sharing your helpful tips and recommending sites for Wendy to have a look at in getting her further. 🙂

Wendy
    Participant

Hi Lynne and Elize
    Thank you so much for your helpful tips. I never was sure how to start my own blog (I was in hiding for quite a long time, long story) but yes it’s something I have considered and would like to give it a try. I am going to take a tour of the site you recommended and see where to start. Will get back to you with any questions I might have.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.