How often should a kid have a bath?

Home Forums Mommy Forums: The Mommy Lounge How often should a kid have a bath?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ronitha 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ronitha
    Participant

I came across this topic whilst scrolling through Facebook a night ago, this immediately caught my attention. I was more in a phase of shock as this for me is not even a valid question.
    My kid has a bath daily, sometimes twice a day.
    Kids are constantly exploring and sweaty mainly in Summer.
    This was definitely not something I would have even taught twice about.
    I would understand if the child doesn’t have a frequent daily bath due to a medical condition such as eczema, but those that don’t have any medical conditions what is the reason behind this?
    Every mother knows what is best for their kids. I’m not here to judge, but will greatly appreciate any taught on this?

Letitia
    Participant

I also feel very strong about this however in Cape Town where we live we have a water shortage and we are on LEVEL 6B water restrictions. What this means is we have 50 litres per person per day. Now I know you will say that this is more than enough water if you are 2 adults and one child but if you go and read what you can do with 50 litres of water you will be shocked.

So ja what we do is we (Me and my 2 toddler girls) bath every second night in about 10 litres of water (Does not even cover my bum properly). The nights we dont bath we shower in the bath and by shower i mean i take a cup and rinse me and my daughters with the water in the bath when getting the water to the correct tempretaure. I then use that same water to put soap on the sponge. After that we only turn on the shower again for a very quick rinse.

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

I’ve given JD a daily bath since he was a newborn.

After he was born, I had to stay in hospital for a few days due to my high blood pressure.
    The nurses fetched the babies every morning for their daily bath.

I just figured that if my baby had his bath on a daily basis in Hospital, then it certainly can’t do any harm. 🙂

The only thing that I had to consider was not to use harsh soaps that would be harmful to baby’s delicate skin.
    I’ve bathed him with Aqeous cream or baby oil for the first three months which after I’ve switched to Johnsons and Johnsons lavender bedtime bath.
    Not only do I prefer my baby to be clean and fresh, but bath time is important when you want to establish a specific routine from early on.

This also promotes better sleeping patterns for children and babies. JD has got his routine every day and this has helped us a great deal.

So, I am definitely pro bathing on a daily basis.

Ronitha
    Participant

@letitia, the Cape Town water crisis is really drastic, hope you guys overcome these restrictions soon.
    In your case this is completely out of your control, you don’t have much choice in the matter.
    I came across mother’s whom willingly stated that they bath their kids twice a week, some even mentioned once a week, bearing in mind that they are not faced with such restrictions, it’s merely their choice.

Elize Swanepoel
    Participant

Oh no @letitiav, this is horrible! In your case, it is a complete different scenario and totally acceptable.

I can’t even begin to imagine what you guys must be going through.
    I wish that the heaven’s would open and that you guys will receive enough rain to recover from the drought. No flooding, just enough to recover and to be back on your feet.

Thinking of you guys over there. x

Letitia
    Participant

Thank you Elize!

Ja it’s not nice. It has even come to a point where i would wear a set of clothing two times before throwing it in the Laundry bin. The washing Machine takes aloooooot of water and I feel guilty everytime i do wash washing!

Apparently they say we need at least 3 or 4 years of good rain in the rain season to recover from the drought!

Anri
    Participant

My father always jokes and says we have the cleanest babies in the world!!!

When my little monster was born the hospital policy was to only bath the second day. There is research that supports this. It holds a great number of skin benefits for baby. They do wipe baby after birth but they don’t submerge baby in water on the day of birth. My gran was horrified about this practice. Thus I had to look up the research that supports it. She was still not happy…

Thereafter they advised to only bath baby every second to third day in winter. I have winter babies. But you top and tail daily with a warm washcloth in all those moist areas. Think chin, under arm, thighs and off course privates.

After 3 months or when temperatures are milder a child should bath daily unless you have water restrictions. They sweat, they play, the are messy eaters. Toddlers sometimes needs a second bath on very educational days.

Ronitha
    Participant

@anri very informative post indeed, the taught of skipping baths has never occurred to me as being a healthier option. I always taught those moms who skipped a day or two was actually being lazy.
    Growing up in a home where you bath twice daily, from little through to adult and this was not optional. Since followed this routine since baby, it won’t be something that is easily questioned.
    After reading your post I did my own research and in fact bathing babies less regularly is the healthier option. There are a lot of moms that even gave excellent reviews with regard to this.
    Thank you very much for sharing this with us. 😊

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.