Elf on the Shelf

Home Forums Mommy Forums: The Mommy Lounge Elf on the Shelf

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tamara 4 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Tamara
    Participant
    Fan Points: 2,672

Good Morning all,

I’d like to find out how many parents have done or are planning to do Elf on the Shelf this year? What age are your children and did they love it? My little one is 5 and considering doing it this year?

vhutshilo
    Participant
    Fan Points: 3,646

We did it last year my son was 4 and he enjoys it this year will be doing it again in my mom’s please.

Tamara
    Participant

Oh great – thanks @vhutshilo
    I’m very excited to start this tradition this year ๐Ÿ™‚

Angie
    Participant
    Fan Points: 156

I feel this is a great thing to do for littles! So much fun. I know that my sister did it the past few years with my nephew. There are so many things that you can do. She had him having a snowball fight using mini marshmallows. She placed him in the tree one day. She had him coloring another day. Just so many neat ideas and my nephew loved looking for him each day.

Lynne Huysamen
    Keymaster

It sounds like fun, but I do think it needs to be well thought out. I’ve heard that some people feel that the Traditional Elf On A Shelf concept with the elf watching over your kids reporting any naughty behavior can be distressing for kids.

I’m not sure I want to do it or not!

Tamara
    Participant

@lynne, I also read some horror stories about Elf on the Shelf gone wrong. So I was extremely hesitant. The one story i read was how a little girl had a terrible Xmas and was so depressed that her Elf had to leave, that her Xmas was completely ruined ๐Ÿ™ So I have decided to tweak my Elf on the Shelf. I’m not going to give her the whole background story, nor will the Elf be there to report to Santa, I’ve also decided that she can touch the silly thing if that’s what she wants. So all I’m taking from the whole thing is the hunt to see what the Elf has done on the day ๐Ÿ˜› and if the elf doesn’t get packed away for the rest of year – that’s her call too ๐Ÿ˜›

Lynne Huysamen
    Keymaster

I haven’t put much thought into Elf On A Shelf or even looked too closely into how it works. What exactly do you do with it @tamara737 and how do you make it work?

Tamara
    Participant

@lynne, basically what I have been able to find out is the following:

“Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition is a 2005 rhyming book that explains how Santaโ€™s โ€˜scout elvesโ€™ hide in peopleโ€™s homes to watch over events. When everyone is in bed, the elf flies back to the North Pole to tell Santa about the good and bad activities that have happened that day. When the family wakes in the morning, the elf has flown back and is hiding in a new place to be found by the family. In the book, the elfโ€™s magic will disappear if he is touched, although you are allowed to talk to him and tell him your Christmas wishes so he can report back to Santa. Elf on the Shelf started in America, with the elves arriving after Thanksgiving (the last Thursday in November). Here in the UK, most people tend to start on 1st December and the beginning of Advent.”

Obviously with the growing popularity people have been changing the rules and such to suit their house holds. I did come across an article about a family who also uses it as a form of discipline, so if their children were naughty the Elf doesn’t move the next day and had a sign as to why. I personally don’t believe in that – but each to their own.

So basically each day your elf moves and gets up to all sorts of mischief ๐Ÿ˜€ Here are a few ideas I found in my “research”

Top 50 Elf on the Shelf ideas

For me I can just hear my child giggling once she has hunted for her Elf and finds him in the fridge or perhaps making a snow angel ๐Ÿ˜€ That’s all I want to take from it to be honest ๐Ÿ™‚

Lynne Huysamen
    Keymaster

It sounds like it can be great fun if it is does in the right way ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll think about starting it this year. Thanks for the explanation.

Tamara
    Participant

No problem at all @lynne.
    I think if you make it your own and do what works for you it will be so much fun for the babies ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.