Making ginger bread men with my daughter was loads of fun, the only snag we hit was putting the men in the oven. It caused great upset and we had to remold some into other shapes!
Ginger Bread Men Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Sweets of your choice
- Gently melt the butter, syrup and sugar in a large pan until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sift the flour, spices and salt.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the cooled butter mixture.
- Immediately add half of the spicy flour you’ve made and mix well.
- Add the egg and then the rest of the flour mixture and mix well again until it forms a soft dough.
- Form into a flat disk, cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least half an hour until firm. The dough will freeze well for up to 6 weeks.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees while dough is in fridge, line a large baking tray with non-stick paper.
- Roll out half the dough on a floured surface.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out people or any shapes of choice.
- Arrange well spaced on baking tray and bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and let harden on the baking sheet, then transfer to cooling rack.
To decorate, mix a few drops of water into the icing sugar to form thick icing. Let your little helpers loose with the icing and a selection of sweets like Jellytots and Smarties to decorate the biscuits.