This crunchies recipe is quick to make and oh so easy. Crunchies are one of my dad’s favourite things to eat and this recipe always comes out tops. It is completely dad approved.
***Disclosure -The links in this post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.***
Ingredients for crunchies:
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- ½ cup of butter
- 2 tablespoons of syrup or honey
- 2 cups oats
- 2 cups of dessicated coconut
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons bicarb of soda
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Grease a baking tray using butter
- Mix the coconut, oats, flour and salt in a bowl
- Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a large pot over low heat
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit then stir in the egg and bicarb of soda quickly
- When the mixture starts foaming add in the dry mixture and mix well
- Spread the mixture in the baking tray evenly and pat down
- Bake for 20 minutes until it is golden brown
- Cut the crunchies into squares when it is still hot and leave to cool
If you prefer your crunchies more chewy take them out as they are just done or if you prefer them more crunchy leave them in a little longer, with time and practice you will be able to make them according to your preference. We prefer them more chewy but when I am making them for my dad he goes for the more crunchy option.
These are fantastic to make as a homemade gift, treats for home or to add to lunch boxes. It is also a fantastic easy recipe to make with kids if you are looking for something fun to do during the holidays.