When I think of household pests in the home I immediately think of cockroaches and get a shiver down my spine. However there are plenty more pests that can become a problem in your home, causing damage to your house and even being a danger to your family’s health.
This makes pest control in your home essential. The first thing is to obviously ensure that you take measure to prevent pests in the first place.
Pest Prevention Measures
Here are a few things you can do to prevent pests in your home:
- Research the types of pests that are in your area and how to prevent them
- Don’t leave food or water lying around
- Don’t leave pet food or water lying over night
- Fix any water leaks and don’t let any water accumulate in the home
- Don’t let water collect in trays under your fridge, under a leaky pipe or under plants
- Close up any places where pests can hide and shelter such as cracks and crevices
- Fill spaces around pipes and cover holes with wire mesh
- Store all food in sealed containers
- Garbage containing food must be sealed in plastic bags and put in a sealed garbage can
- Remove garbage from your home regularly
- Remove clutter from your home, clutter makes it easy for pests to hide and breed
How Household Pests can be Dangerous
As mentioned there are many types of household pests that can become a problem, here are some of the most common household pests and how they can be dangerous or problematic for your family.
Flies are probably one of the most common household pests. They are attracted to food and garbage so if you live in an area that is prone to having flies it is even more essential to take steps to ensure that all food and garbage is disposed of fast and properly.
Because flies are attracted to dirty things they can bring in bacteria that contaminates food and spreads diseases.
Cockroaches are also dirty creatures that contaminate food and can spread the Salmonella bacteria which in turn can lead to all sorts of health problems from food poisoning to Typhoid.
Cockroaches can also cause allergic reactions.
Ants are attracted to food and sweet smells. They travel in packs so they can become very annoying when they enter your home. The danger is that they can get into your food and contaminate it. Some ants bite which can be annoying and in some cases even dangerous for example in the case of fire ants if anyone is allergic.
Wasps, Hornets and Bees
Bees and wasps will often make nests in the doorframes and eaves of your home. While a lot of people find stings painful and annoying there are many people that are allergic to wasps, hornets and bees. Some people are so allergic they could die from just one sting.
Termites eat wood and can cause serious structural damage to your home. While termites may bite or sting they are not dangerous in this regard. However when a home is infested with termites it can affect the people living in the home with allergies and asthma.
Mice carry bacteria, parasites, viruses and diseases. Mice can carry Lymphocytic choriomeningitis which is very dangerous and it can also cause congenital chorioretinitis, hydrocephalus and mental retardation to an unborn baby if the mother gets infected.
Mouse urine can carry leptospirosis and mouse and other bug fecal matter can cause respiratory problems.
Click here to get a FREE pest inspection from Terminix – you can get $50 off of their service or $100 off if a friend signs up.